Countdown to Summer: Last Minute Toning Exercises

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Despite that fact that we had snow last week, summer is on its way! Now I didn’t make a New Year’s Resolution to work out every day, but if I had, I would’ve broken it. (My resolution was eating healthy; Semi successful so far.) Anyways shorts season is upon us and although I’m not interested in losing weight, I just want to tone my legs and arms a little. Toning exercises help tighten and lift everything to make you look and feel fabulous. Here are some awesome exercises from Glamour you can use to get toned.

1. Jump Rope. I wrote an article about workout tips from Self Magazine months ago and it was included there too. Jump rope is a fast paced workout that burns those extra calories off fast and improves your breathing. I used to think it was easy, but jumping rope for 10 minutes is really difficult and I definitely felt results the next day. Just try to jump on a softter surface so you don’t hurt your knees.

2. Crossover Lunge. Stand with your arms out at shoulder height. Step forward with right foot, crossing it in front of left. Lower into a curtsey-like lunge while twisting torso right Untwist, push off right foot, return to start. Do 8 to 12 reps then switch legs!

3. Inchworm. These were my least favorite exercises in middle school gym class. We only had to do 2 but I hated the push up part. Bend forward, place hands on floor in front of toes, and walk hands forward until you reach plank position. Do a push-up, then walk your hands back to start. Do 8 to 12 reps.

4. Side Plank. Lie on right side with legs extended. Push yourself up on your right forearm and place left hand on your waist. Slowly lift hips off the floor as high as you can, hold for 15 to 30 seconds, tightening your core. Lower, switch sides and repeat.

5.  Squats. Tried and true, squats are the pain of my existence. Still there doesn’t seem to be other exercises that get such results. Holding 5lb weights in each hand, bend your knees and squat like you’re lowering yourself into a chair. Then stand and press arms straight up over shoulders. Do 8 to 12 reps.

For more tips, check out the article from Glamour. Remember no matter how much you work out, beauty is about confidence so exercise, eat right, and make sure you are happy with what you look like. In the end, that’s all that matters!

Sources:

http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/2011/02/8-workout-moves-for-a-toned-body-in-two-weeks?slide=2#slide=1

http://veryhilarious.com/i-dont-know-whats-longer/

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum