Be Healthy, Be Happy: Healthy Eating Habits for the Active Collegiette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Whether you’re working off a crazy weekend or training for a marathon, what you eat before and after a workout affects how you perform during the workout and also the rest of your day.  Here are five tips to stay healthy and maximize your exercise and athletic performance.

Eat a healthy breakfast.

If you exercise in the morning, it’s important that you get up in time to eat something substantial before you venture out.  The energy you gained from the dinner the night before is usually used up by the morning, so in order to avoid feeling sluggish and tired during your workout, refuel with

• Cereal
  • Bread
  • Milk
  • Fruit
  • Juice

These foods will give you the maximum boost of energy that you need to feel strong and alert to finish the workout successfully.

Size matters.

The amount of food you eat before a workout is important and can make or break a good workout.  Bigger meals consisting of more substantial food such as pastas, meats, and heavy salads should be eaten three or four hours before a workout to reach your maximum performance level.  Small meals should be eaten two to three hours before your workout and would consist of foods such as light salads, yogurt, soups, crackers, or fruit.  Small snacks are key to perform at your optimal level.  Having a granola bar or fruit snacks an hour before the workout has the potential to double your energy level.

Snack well.

You have to be careful not to eat too much before working out as it can make you feel sluggish and might cause you to have to stop.  Eating too much can have the same effect with the draining of energy and your extremities feeling like jell-o.  Snacking is the solution to this.  Having a small snack before your workout will be enough to give you energy, but not too much to prevent you from moving as agilely as you can.

Eat after you exercise.

Having something substantial to eat after you exercise is important in order for your body to build up and replenish your muscle.  Any kind of protein is perfect to consume post workout for muscle repair.  Bananas, cereals, nuts, or nutrition bars will help you feel healthy and rejuvenated after your workout.  And don’t forget to drink lots of water!

Photo Sources:

http://www.ahealthiermichigan.org/2010/09/30/the-importance-of-eating-before-and-after-exercise/

http://www.chacha.com/gallery/4510/what-are-the-best-post-workout-foods/42690

http://www.studiobluepdx.com/u…

I'm a sophomore at Boston College and love to read, write, and run!
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.