This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

Finals have always been a rough time for college students everywhere. After finals, you tend to feel drained and fatigued. Here are some ways to combat that feeling early on.

Naps are a great way to wind down from studying and take a break. You may feel like you don’t have time for a nap; there are too many assignments to complete at once. But I assure you even a 10-20 minute nap is helpful to your mental health and your brain. According to the sleepfoundation.org, naps help with “reducing sleepiness, improving learning capabilities, aiding in memory formation, and regulating emotions.” Keeping your naps short is the key to gaining the most benefits. It’s important to take some time during studying to relax and give your brain a break. Pushing yourself too hard will leave you feeling awful and not prepared for the exams you’re about to take. 

If you aren’t fond of the idea of naps, maybe meditation is more your speed. Meditation is also a great way to relax and gain composure during study breaks. According to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, meditating can be useful for “increasing calmness and physical relaxation, improving psychological balance, coping with illness, and enhancing overall health and well-being.” All these benefits are great for stressed college students trying their best to study for their finals. Try to make sure you meditate in a quiet location with little to no distractions. Put yourself in a comfortable position whether that’s laying down or sitting down. Focus your attention on something positive or tell yourself positive affirmations while meditating to help increase your self-esteem and boost your mood. 

Organizing your study schedule is also a great way to relieve stress and anxiety during this time. I have always used a planner, but it’s especially helpful during finals week. With all the assignments, papers, and exams, you can’t go wrong with writing everything down. Baylor offers a great resource through the Office of Academic Support Programs. All you need to do is search for the “finals packet.” Inside the document, there are tips on studying and a whole blank calendar that’s perfect for students to plan out their last class days. They also provide their office email and phone number for students in case they need extra support. I have used their blank daily study guide to plan out my study days and it was super helpful. It kept me on track and my mind was at ease which allowed me to focus more on my work. 

These are just some ideas that can hopefully aid in your finals week journey. Whether you try some of these or not, make sure to take some time for yourself. Taking study breaks and recollecting yourself is so important during finals. Also, don’t forget to eat and drink water. Your body will thank you later. As the photo states, “self-care isn’t selfish,” so take care of yourself during finals. 

Mercedes is a senior, Sociology major at Baylor University. Mercedes is from Oceanside, California, a little bit north of San Diego. Her interests are playing with makeup, trying new restaurants, and driving around blasting music. Her career goals include going to law school to become a family or immigration lawyer or opening a homelessness recovery center.