Ginny and Georgia: Not Gilmore Girls 2.0 A Casual, Spoiler Free Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

While the basic premise of the new Netflix show “Ginny and Georgia” sounds similar to the already popular “Gilmore Girls”, with both shows featuring a single mother and teenage daughter duo living in a small New England town, along with the mother having had the daughter as a teenager herself, the list of similarities are short after that. Both are filled with comedy and drama and a daughter figure seemingly more “adult” in mindset than her mother, but its differences outweigh its similarities in plot complexity, multiple issues it discusses, and the main characters themselves, especially in the character of Georgia. 

As I casually watched “Ginny and Georgia”, I went in expecting a modern remake of one of my favorite shows “Gilmore Girls”. And while it isn’t a remake, I’m very glad this show is its own individual piece and to share my spoiler-free thoughts on it. Both “G” titled shows, in my opinion, are comedic, engaging and charming. But it has to be made clear that “Ginny and Georgia’ isn’t “Gilmore Girls 2.0: The Modern Take”, and it isn’t meant to be. It’s a show filled with multiple plots of a modern teenager’s life with the choices they may face, their triumphs and struggles, along with plots including crime and skeletons in the closet. As a casual college viewer, I enjoyed “Ginny and Georgia” for its humor, its drama and its individualism, and while the show jokingly compares the the mother-daughter duo to Gilmore Girls, its anything but- 

“We’re like the ‘Gilmore Girls’ but with bigger boobs” , titular character Georgia jokes. And not to mention bigger secrets. 

Netflix’s description of “Ginny and Georgia” says- “Free-spirited Georgia and her two kids, Ginny and Austin, move north in search of a fresh start but find that the road to new beginnings can be bumpy.” An accurate description. My only qualm with it is, while not giving too much away, “bumpy” is DEFINITELY an understatement. 

The show stars its titular characters, Ginny, or Virginia, an intelligent, passionate 15 year old who loves but somewhat resents her mother, Georgia, a charismatic, crafty mom who would do anything to protect her family. Besides Ginny, Georgia’s family includes Ginny’s half-brother Austin, who’s a super fan of his family and Harry Potter (if his glasses didn’t give it away). The story starts with the three moving from Houston, Texas to Wellsbury, Massachusetts, for reasons I can’t explain without *spoilers*. As the series dives further, the similarities are revealed between the mother daughter duo, with other characters even commenting on it eventually. The stark differences in their upbringing are also eventually brought up. 

From the first episode and beyond, the show quickly reveals information about the main characters, enough that keeps you hooked, but not too much in one go. It seems that throughout the series, past information is threatening to come out about these characters, whether it be Georgia’s life before Ginny, or Ginny’s current actions as a teenager. With Ginny, it’s through awkward eye contact or secrets. With Georgia, it’s through P.I’s or flashback sequences. These flashbacks include Georgia’s own teenage life and Ginny’s father, Zion. While all of the characters in the show have both their positive and negative traits, they’re overall complex and interesting to watch. If I had to pick a favorite character it would have to be Georgia. I appreciated her charm, her strength as a person and the overall deep care she has to make sure her kids had a better life than she ever did. 

I only had one specific scene and the way certain things were handled to pick on about the series, but I also understand I am not the best person to explain those problems. What I can do is recommend a great article that best explains my feelings, by writer Stitch on Teen Vogue, “Netflix’s “Ginny & Georgia” Plays Oppression Olympics — But Nobody Wins”.  I also warn this article is very detailed, so major spoilers ahead. 

Overall, the show is more complex than it seems, and that’s a good thing. Like one of its titular characters Georgia, and is more than its modern slice of life premise, and dives into complex topics like racial issues, sex, relationships, and crime. If a modern look into a teenage girl’s life and relationship with her mother and environment, along with a darker, complex plot within the mothers own life, sounds like your type of show, I would recommend watching “Ginny and Georgia.”  As a casual watcher, it was enjoyable and I would watch it again.

Mariah Bennett is Social Media Director and on the editorial team for HerCampus Baylor. She is currently a sophomore at Baylor University. In her free time, she loves reading about the current beauty world, watching Netflix, and hanging out with friends and family. She loves dogs, lip gloss, and the color pink.