Wellness > Health

Breast Cancer Awareness: Self-Examining is Self-Care!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

About 1 in 8 American women will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime. For women in the United States, breast cancer death rates are higher than any other type of cancer. Now these statistics are not meant to just be a part of ‘spooky szn’, but rather keep you aware that it can happen to anyone. October is nationally hailed as Breast Cancer Awareness Month; everyone who has had a mother, daughter, friend, or someone they know with this disease steps out in pink to show their support. From fundraisers to social events and support groups, there are many ways to get connected to those who understand what it is like to have gone through something like this. A part of growing up is making sure that your overall well-being is maintained, and this includes self-examinations (they are just as important as getting your nails done or going for a facial). To prevent and check for breast cancer, many women perform self-examinations on their breasts, but to do so, you need to get to know your own boobs! By caring for them just like you tend to the rest of your body, you will be more attentive in the event that something is wrong. To know your body is key to growth and happiness; women all around should pay more attention to themselves.

Self-Examining the Girls

According to Johns Hopkins University Medical Center, an adult woman should perform a breast self-exam at least once a month. 40% of diagnosed cases are initially discovered by the presence of a lump; therefore, it is important that you get well-acquainted with your girls so that you are able to tell a doctor if something is unusual or wrong. 

1. The pads of your fingers should be moved to press along your breast in a spiral pattern, starting from your armpit area inwards to the center near your areola. Put varying pressures on the area to see if there are any hard masses, pains, or discharge. 

2. Look at yourself in the mirror and visually check if there are any noticeable indentations or formations while your arms are raised high above your head, and down at your sides. Put your hands on your hips and press down in order to flex your chest and see if there are any differences.

Self-Examining the Girls

Breast Cancer Awareness Month is about gaining and spreading knowledge about this disease and honoring the strength of those battling it, whether you do it by #FreetheNipple, a 5k marathon in your town or by selling pink bracelets that remind us of why we all fight to find a cure. Cancer is an illness that not only affects the patient, but the people around them as well. My mother, Marivic, was diagnosed with breast cancer twice, once in 2002 (in which she had a lumpectomy and went through chemotherapy & radiation), and another in 2013 (where she finally decided to go through with a double mastectomy and reconstruction). Women like her inspire me to keep going on the daily and to persevere through everything with the help of my family, friends, and God. Have a good and healthy October ladies!

Joanne Gotanco is a freshman Medical Humanities major on the Pre-Med track at Baylor University. She is a LONG way from home (NYC reppin!) and has two shih-tzus named Max and Ruby. When she isn't rewatching Friends for the millionth time, she can probably be found hanging out at Moody Library or at the Fuego drive thru. Things that bring her joy include: fluffy socks, beaches, sushi, and long plane rides.