The lobby of the Paul L. Foster Campus for Business and Innovation at Baylor University
Original photo by Rachel Harsley
Career

5 Unconventional Tips From An Unlikely CEO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

As a Baylor tour guide, my introduction to families I give tours to always goes a little something like this. “Hi, everyone! I’m Rachel from Houston, Texas, and I’m a sophomore communication and journalism double major with a minor in business administration because I’m indecisive.” That last bit always gets a laugh, and that’s my intention. It helps to break the ice before I begin my spiel – who doesn’t love a bit of self-deprecating humor? In all seriousness, I’m still not sure what I want to do with my life. I have so many different interests and I often find myself feeling paralyzed because of it. I know that I adore storytelling of any medium, the arts (theatre, music and dance in particular), national parks and traveling. So…if anyone knows of an internship or career that combines all of those things, please, by all means, hit me up.

The other week, my advertising and public relations professor assigned us a YouTube video to watch for class entitled “Keys to Success in the PR Industry – Fred Cook CEO of GolinHarris”. I proceeded to groan as I opened the link, because it was about an hour long. But after watching for a few minutes, my worries had melted away. He convinced me that my varied interests weren’t a roadblock standing in the way of my future, but rather an asset. 

Cook’s life has been filled with adventure and spontaneity – he’s been a cabin boy on a Norwegian tankship, a substitute teacher, a tour guide and so much more. He’s also had McDonald’s, Nintendo, and Toyota as his clients and has rubbed elbows with the likes of Steve Jobs.  

The former CEO and current chair emeritus of one of the largest public relations agencies in the world never expected to get where he is today. He broke into the public relations field at 36 – it’s never too late to pursue your passion. Here are five lessons he learned on his journey to becoming a CEO.

1. Hit the Road

Itching to explore the world, Cook took a job in Italy selling billfolds to American tourists on a bus. Broadening your horizons and stepping out of your comfort zone allow you to become more culturally competent. If you want to conduct business with someone from a different country, it’s helpful (and courteous) to understand their customs.

2. Ask the Captain

While hitchhiking in Honolulu, Cook and his friend came across a tanker in the port. He had always wanted to work on a boat, so he summoned the courage to ask one of the dock workers if there were any open positions. They promptly told him to ask the captain. Although it was intimidating, Cook and his friend found the captain and asked for an opportunity. The captain, a Norwegian fellow, kindly told them no, but that he appreciated their enthusiasm. The two friends, defeated, left and sat on the curb. Cook felt in his gut that he should ask again, but alone this time. So, he marched up to the captain, asked again, and the captain said, “Well, since you left, someone quit. We leave for Japan in three hours!” Cook went on to have a wonderful adventure, but only because he had the balls to ask. This applies to your career as well – if you want an opportunity, you’ve gotta seize it.

3. Enlist an Entourage

Everyone you know – family members, friends, professors – knows someone who knows someone. According to Cook, there’s nothing wrong with sending copies of your resume to the people in your life. Each person you know also has their own valuable set of skills! Maybe your aunt has an eye for design, your roommate is a great writer, and your romantic partner has a great sense of style. Don’t be afraid to utilize these people when building a resume or getting ready for an interview.

4. Work for Tips

Customer service is the heart of business – it’s all about the details. When Cook worked as a doorman at the Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles, he learned so much about catering to the customer and providing them with a pleasant experience. Not only does it benefit the consumer, but you as well! To be more personable, Cook would glance at guests’ luggage tags so he could remember their names and make a connection. As a result, he got tipped about $80 every day. Knowing the importance of customer service helped him snag Starbucks as a client of GolinHarris. When Howard Schultz, the former CEO of Starbucks, was looking for a public relations firm to represent his company, Cook had Starbucks coffee shipped from Seattle to Los Angeles so he could offer it to Schultz at their meeting. Needless to say, catering to his customer worked.

5. Guide a Tour 

Having a plan is helpful, but sometimes, improvising leads you to exactly where you’re meant to be. A huge part of leadership is being able to guide people through unfamiliar situations – sometimes places you’ve never been.  Cook worked as a guide for Olsen Tours. In order to prepare, he read dozens of books on California. Had he ever visited the area he was going to tell a busload of tourists about? Nope. But, he was prepared enough to give his guests a memorable experience.

Fred Cook never expected to become a CEO when he grew up. For his entire life, he improvised, took leaps of faith and never shied away from an opportunity. As a meticulous planner who doesn’t always ask for what she truly wants, this video was insanely inspiring. Hopefully, by reading these tips, you feel empowered to strive for the career and the life you desire.

Rachel Harsley is a junior at Baylor University double majoring in communication and journalism on the public relations track. She is from Houston, Texas and has a Bichon Frise named Benny (after "Bennie and the Jets" by Elton John). When she isn't creating a plethora of Spotify playlists (124 and counting), she enjoys spending time with friends and family, playing the piano, being in nature, reading, dancing, singing and taking photos. Other things that bring her joy include theatre, traveling and chai tea lattes.