This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

Recently, a national conversation has started regarding mental health, but for some, especially college students, it can be daunting. While many young adults are seeking out help for their mental health and taking care of themselves in a way that isn’t just physical, there are still many who don’t know where to start. Here are some great resources on Baylor’s campus to get you started and on track to a healthy mind:

Beauchamp Addiction Recovery Center

The Beauchamp Addiction Recovery Center or B.A.R.C. located in the East Village Residential Community is a system for students in recovery from substance and behavioral addictions seeking support. Not only does this center support students who are recovering from addiction, they also serve those who have been affected by someone who may currently or have had an addiction. 

Phone Number: (254) 710-7092

Baylor Counseling Center

The Counseling Center, located on the second floor of the Student Life Center (SLC) is a great, free, resource to all students. The only thing required for each appointment is yourself, no insurance or payments needed at all. The counseling center strives to make students feel whole whether it be through, individuals, group, or couples counseling. Other services that they offer include online mental health services, medical nutrition therapy, and crisis intervention. All you have to do is either call or walk-in for a consultation and you will then be placed with a counselor. 

Phone Number: 254-710-2467

The Bobo Spiritual Life Center

The Bobo Spiritual Life Center, located between Tidwell and Speight Parking Garage, is a great spiritual resource here on campus. If you are seeking spiritual care or are in need of prayer, Bobo is a place where you can get this. You can also study there, meet with friends or just stop by to meet with a chaplain. You can drop by the Bobo Spiritual Life Center during weekdays from 8 am-12 pm or 1-5 pm to meet the staff, and find someone to talk with.

Baylor Wellness GRIT Group

The GRIT Group, held by the counseling center but hosted in the B.A.R.C. is an 8-session support group/workshop for students, held in the Fall semester. GRIT emphasizes that there are multiple pathways to success, they also teach to know when and how to ask for help, and how to work hard even after failure or feeling like you should quit. You can attend all 8 sessions or just one! GRIT is a great resource and shows that you are not alone in your academic struggles.

For more information, email: Teran_Yaklin@baylor.edu

McLane Student Life Center (SLC)

The Mclane Student Life Center (SLC) may not seem like a great mental health resource, but it can be! Not only is the Counseling Center located here, but the SLC also offers a variety of equipment and classes to help clear your mind. Even if it’s just a slow walk on the treadmill or around the track, a small amount of physical activity can help you feel better about yourself. If you’re looking for more guidance or structure to your workouts, the SLC also offers several classes, from yoga to cycling, just check out their calendar here.

Dealing with your mental health can be pretty intimidating, and it is important to know that you are not alone. When you have a community willing to love and support you no matter what, this experience can feel a lot less overwhelming. Baylor provides many ways of getting the help or support that you need to live a full, happy life. It is never too late to start counseling or seek other forms of support. Somebody will always be there for you. It may have been difficult to realize that you may want or need support, but give yourself a pat on the back for taking a step in the right direction.

If you, or someone you know, needs to talk to someone immediately, here are some local and national numbers to call:

BU Counseling Center  Crisis Line: (254)710-2467

Mental Health and Mental Retardation 24-Hour Emergency/Crisis Number: (254)752-3451

National Hope Network Hotline: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)

Taylor Bauer

Baylor '22

Taylor Bauer, born and raised in Boston, Massachusetts. Taylor is a senior Biology/Pre-Pharmacy major, working towards her Spanish Medical Certificate. Along with being on Her Campus' event planning and editorial teams, she is a member of The American Medical Women's Association at Baylor and Alpha Lambda Delta Honors Society.