A table for two outside of a teahouse in Houston, Texas
Original photo by Rachel Harsley
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

Valentine’s Day is swiftly approaching, and it’s time to start planning! Life as a student is busy, and that Sunday will arrive before you know it. Take advantage of the holiday being on a weekend and spend some quality time with your significant other. Don’t let February 14th catch you off guard – here are five fun date spots in the city of Waco.

Cameron Park

What better way to spend an afternoon with your partner than out in nature, enjoying the fresh air? Cameron Park is the second-largest municipal park in the entire nation (just behind Central Park in New York City), so there’s plenty of trails to explore together. Walking around aimlessly and admiring the scenery with someone you love could be a great way to spend Valentine’s Day. If hiking isn’t your thing, you could opt for a lovely picnic near a lookout spot like Lover’s Leap. 

Dichotomy Coffee & Spirits

Not only does Dichotomy offer fantastic beverages to choose from, but an ambiance that can’t be beaten. At night, the lighting near the back of the shop gives off a romantic glow. Sipping your coffee together and peering over your cups to steal glances at each other? How intimate. To make it even better, head to Dichotomy’s rooftop and enjoy the view.

Skate Waco

Are you and your partner competitive? Do you like to try and show each other up? Going roller skating would be perfect, no matter your ability. If both of you are skating pros, you can race each other all night long and enjoy the thrill of the chase. If either of you is athletically challenged, don’t worry – grab onto your date for the support! You can hold their hand for a tender moment and some extra help.  

Baris

If you want to eat great food, support a local business, and maybe even recreate the spaghetti scene from Lady and the Tramp, Baris is a great place to start. The portions are huge and meant for sharing. Italian food to die for sold at prices tailored to a college student’s budget? I’m interested.

Lake Waco

Last but certainly not least on the list is Lake Waco. It offers a prime view of the sunset so feel free to put a blanket near the water’s edge and watch it together. As the stars become visible, get a campfire started and roast marshmallows to make s’mores! Make sure to bring extra blankets for cuddling and stargazing. 

Celebrating Valentine’s Day with your significant other doesn’t have to break the bank or involve grand gifts or gestures. If you’re a couple not into Valentine’s Day, no worries. Spending time together and simply appreciating each other’s company is what matters most in the end. 

Rachel Harsley is a junior at Baylor University double majoring in communication and journalism on the public relations track. She is from Houston, Texas and has a Bichon Frise named Benny (after "Bennie and the Jets" by Elton John). When she isn't creating a plethora of Spotify playlists (124 and counting), she enjoys spending time with friends and family, playing the piano, being in nature, reading, dancing, singing and taking photos. Other things that bring her joy include theatre, traveling and chai tea lattes.