What To Have On Campus For Short Term

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

If it’s your first Short Term at Bates, you’ve probably heard a lot about it. I know that my friend group has been discussing Short Term for at least half a month, and by now, we pretty much all know what we like to have at school over Short Term. When I was a first year, though, I was worried about what I should bring back to school from home since I went home during April break. Now, I can comfortably say that the following are nice to have during the month:

Sunglasses. It doesn’t matter what kind, it’s just nice to have some sunnies to protect your eyes.

Sunscreen. You need to protect your skin from UV rays! 

T-shirts and shorts or some other not-cold weather clothes. It actually gets fairly warm up in Maine during Short Term (or it has, in previous years).

Flip flops, or at the very least, shoes that aren’t snow boots! 

A beach towel. Short Term presents so many opportunities for laying out on the grass, just relaxing outside. I now have a designated ground towel, i.e. an inexpensive towel I don’t mind getting dirty that I use when I’m just lounging around on the grass or dirt. 

A sense of adventure! Short Term is perfect for exploring, whether it’s watching the sunset on Mount David (which I highly recommend doing- it’s gorgeous. Peep the main image, which I took last year in that precise spot) or hiking in Acadia (which I also recommend!), so be sure to bring your inner explorer/adventurer with you.

Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.