Major Life Lessons Learned While Recovering From a Minor Head Injury

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

A few weeks ago, I heroically fell and hit my head during a recreational flag football game. This testament to my athletic prowess resulted in a pretty nasty concussion, a concussion that left me out of commission for a while. Besides the constant kicking myself for my stupidity for even participating in an organized sporting event that, given my athletic track record, was bound to end in tears (my own), I spent a lot of time staring at the ceiling and thinking about, well, life.

Photo Credit

First off, this thinking was technically against the doctor’s orders, as concussion recovery requires “cognitive rest.” Basically, you are supposed to “not think,” which, let’s face it, is impossible. I attempted to shut my brain off for a few weeks in order to allow my bruised brain to heal. However, in actuality, I ended up thinking more than usual. In my “concussion cave,” as I so fondly like to call it (aka, my silent dark room), I was given ample time to learn a few lessons. Here they are:

1) Listen to your doctors- The day after I knocked my head, I went to the doctor and she told me that brain rest was vital in the first stages of concussion recovery. I decided that I actually, despite my lack of medical degree, was more versed in concussions than she and should continue to live my usual fast-paced lifestyle. I learned my lesson as days passed and I did not get any better—I actually got much worse. So here’s my lesson: listen to your doctor’s advice, they probably aim to help you.

Photo Credit

2) Value the company of others- Let me tell you, my concussion cave got real lonely real fast. As I listened to the voices and laughter of my peers through my cracked window, I realized how lucky I am to constantly be surrounded by friends and family. My time in solitude has taught me to never take the company of others for granted but, instead, cherish every moment you spend with another person. 

Photo Credit

3)   Revel in your physical being- Although I joke about being a total spaz who should not participate in physical activity, I actually detested not being able to exercise freely during my recovery time. My body craved the relaxation enjoyed after a yoga class, the release of energy felt during a run, and the satisfying exhaustion following a long walk. Lying still for so many weeks made me realize how electrifyingly insane it is that we can live and breathe and move our bodies so unreservedly. 

Photo Credit

4)   Embrace the inherent hungry desire to constantly absorb the world- Cognitive rest is unrealistic solely because we relentlessly are listening to, looking at, and learning from the world around us. I was not allowed to read, so I gave up books (an actual tragedy for an English nerd like myself). But, like I said—unrealistic! I ended up reading anything I could lay my eyes on, including shampoo bottles, nutrition facts, the posters on my wall, etc. I couldn’t listen to music, so instead I listened to the cars pass outside of my window, the movie being watched by my neighbors, the sound of a distant train whistle, the voices in the hallway, and so on. I couldn’t watch TV, so I stared at the room around me, memorizing every crack in the ceiling. I craved going to class again, sitting at dinner for hours, listening to Mumford and Sons’ new album, catching up on Game of Thrones. All in all, due to my head injury, I will never say I am bored again. There is constantly so much going on in the world to be taken advantage of. Never again will I sit back and ignore the excitement surrounding me.  

So, I guess there are some benefits from my concussion, as I made some revelations about my world and myself. But, all in all, the main lesson I have to offer you is this: never let yourself get into a position that may end up in a concussion. Because, I am going to be honest, they totally stink. 

Photo Credit

Jane is a senior at Bates College, majoring in English and minoring in History. Outside of class, she dances ballet and practices yoga, religiously listens to Dave Matthews Band, and is a firm believer that dark chocolate acts as a well-rounded meal.
HerCampus Bates College Co-Founder Find me at: http://heelsandthesoul.com