This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Babson chapter.

Starting college is a new and exciting experience for everyone. You’re probably excited about parties, classes, and making new friends. And even though there are many opportunities to make new friends for the year, like in sports teams, clubs, classes, and orientation groups, you’ll probably spend a lot of your time around your roommate. But what if you don’t have one?

I was in a triple my freshman year. For the most part, my roommates and I got along fine. We had our little disagreements, but for the most part, we tried to be as accommodating as we could. I wasn’t used to living with other people though. I’m an only child, and I’m used to being comfortable–being myself–in my own space. It was hard for me to be “on” all the time. But, having roommates was still kind of fun. There are several things I miss about having roommates. I miss the constant companionship. I miss making little inside jokes and learning each other’s quirks. And even though I complained about it, I miss the noise.

I made a personal decision to live in a single this year; I wanted to see what it would be like if I were to experience college at my “full potential.” What if I didn’t have to wake up earlier than necessary because of my roommate’s morning classes? What if I didn’t have to stay up late because of my other roommate’s jet lag? Most of my freshman year was spent bleary-eyed and grumpy.

I jumped on my chance to get my own place. I was ready to finally have a space that wasn’t shared. I didn’t want to worry about making or hearing noise. I didn’t have to worry about alarms. I could decorate freely. I could have the thermostat set to a temperature I liked. I could throw sleepovers with friends off campus. For a while, I was happy to be my own person in my own space. I just wasn’t ready for the loneliness that comes with living in a single room.

My mistake was underestimating how important proximity on campus is to building and maintaining friendships. I met so many people through my old roommates, and so many people through those mutual connections. I had an extended network of friends, and the only thing I had to do was live with someone else. It’s gotten more difficult to keep up with friendships on campus. It’s easier for me to study in the comfort of my own room than in the library or in Rey’s. It’s easier to have a quick meal by myself and on-the-go than to sit with friends Trim. It’s easier to be lazy and antisocial and comfortable.

I value my space, comfort, time and independence more than anything else in the world. But sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I had a roommate this year. I’m positive that living in a single has drastically improved my physical health. I’m well-rested and happy. I’m on top of my work. I have the privacy to destress and relax. But if you’re someone who doesn’t like being alone with your thoughts, please reconsider.

Julia Chon

Babson '21

I'm a college student who likes makeup, reading, and long walks on the beach.