alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Veganism is a popular, but nevertheless controversial lifestyle that continues to be a topic of conversation in our society today. Often times, veganism is simply associated with eating a vegan diet, but veganism can extend beyond that. There are many definitions for veganism, but I personally define veganism as the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products. Essentially, it is a cruelty-free lifestyle.

Unfortunately, veganism, like many other lifestyle choices, is widely misunderstood. This ambiguity is directly related to the popularized assumption that vegans only practice veganism by eating a vegan diet. There is also an assumption that many vegans are aiming to lose weight or simply participating in another “fad diet.”

With that being said, here are a couple of other reasons someone may choose to practice veganism.

1. A vegan lifestyle benefits the environment

For many vegans, going cruelty-free is all about its positive impact on the environment. Raising animals for food requires massive amounts of land, food, energy, and water. Eliminating animal flesh and products from your diet reduce your carbon footprint, which ultimately helps the environment.

1. A vegan diet can help you become more self-aware

Any diet and/or lifestyle change can inspire a person to evaluate the quality of their life beyond diet. For myself and many others, going vegan inspired me to take care of myself physically and emotionally. Prioritizing the well-being of animals is high on the list for vegans, but this nurturing attitude and overall empathy should be practiced constantly and especially towards oneself. Becoming more mindful of how you nourish your body, inside and out, is truly valuable.

1. Going vegan can inspire new recipes and creativity in the kitchen

Often times, veganism is associated with eating salads. In all reality, this is far from the truth. While salads are certainly part of this diet, vegans often find veganism invigorating because there are an abundance of food options and flavorful recipes available. There are plenty of meat and dairy substitutes on the market that are both healthy and packed with flavor. Not to mention the thousands of recipes online that make eating a vegan diet a creative endeavor, rather than a chore. Were it not for my switch to a vegan diet, I would not be as motivated to cook with spices, enthusiasm, and intention.

Diet is a personal choice for most people; rather than let this truth limit our understanding of one another’s diets, it is important to consider that not every vegan practices veganism for the same reasons.

An English and Communications Major who is passionate about creating and reading literature.
Augustana Contributor