This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Mental health is hard enough to explain to yourself let alone someone else. A support system is very important when dealing with mental health, but how do you explain to your support what is going on in your head when you cannot explain it to yourself?

Do your best to first physically sit down with them Explain to them what you think is best for yourself, alone time, company, therapy, exercise, etc. If you do not know what you think is best, then try your best to just express that you need help. Those that love you and care about you will do all they can to understand what they need to do in order to get you the help that you need.

I have struggled with my mental health since I was thirteen. At this point in my life I know what I need to do in order to get better. For me getting help means removing myself from social situations for a day or two, scheduling time for myself, and reflecting on why I feel the way that I do. When I am unable to do this, I begin to feel stressed and anxious about trying to figure out why I am feeling the way that I do. This can be upsetting to the people around me. They not only want to help but they very rarely want to see me go through it alone. 

We all heal differently and sometimes it is hard for others to understand your ways of healing. It is okay if your healing is eating a dozen cookies and watching New Girl on repeat for 2 days. It is okay if your way of healing is talking to all of your best friends and laughing about the funniest vines you can remember. It is okay if your way of healing is therapy, medication, meditation, etc. For me it is okay that my way of healing is taking time to myself. 

Life gets extremely busy sometimes and your mental health may take a back seat. If your mental health is manageable and you can tend to it yourself then the people you love, should support you for that. 

It is very hard to explain to people why you are waking up with anxiety, or need to take a day off school, if they themselves do not deal with negative mental health. All you can do is try your best to have them understand what it is you need to reset your mental health and what it is they can do to help. It is also okay to accept and explain to them that sometimes, all they can do is be there when you need them and step away when you need them to.

We all heal differently. 

Ana Warkocki

Augustana '21

I'm Ana, I am currently studying Psychology and Communication Studies at Augustana College. I enjoy writing, photography, and listening to Indie music.
Augustana Contributor