Sydney Richardson: A Girl with A Passion for Activism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Year: Junior

Major(s): Biology Pre-Vet and Political Science

What are you involved with on campus? I’m a peer mentor, in Sigma Pi Delta sorority, and Viking Pups.

What made you want to organize the trip to D.C.?

Initially it wasn’t in my mindset to organize a trip of such a large group of students. I was planning on attending the March with just a couple of friends, however this changed. During Spring Break it became my goal to organize a trip that Augie students could be a part of, much like the Women’s March. This idea stemmed from the thought that this march is to make schools more safe and would be a truly life changing opportunity. The issue of gun violence that we were marching against is an issue everywhere now from homes to schools. As a community I thought it was important that we show our support to the victims and survivors, but also have our voices heard. Although we may be of a younger generation we have the voice and power to demand change.

Were there any challenges with the planning of the trip?

Not too many which was very surprising. Ella Fly helped get all the information that I would need to organize this march and luckily she also helped with the organization for the Women’s March and so she knew what she was doing. The main challenge was getting enough money to rent a bus. I emailed and spoke with several groups and academic departments on campus and was able to get full funding for the bus from SGA, Political Science, Women and Gender Studies, Fristat Center and the Jaeke Family Life fund. The next step was to get people to sign up which we had no problem with as many expressed interest!

How was it? What was your favorite part? Alternatively, what was the most powerful moment/part to you?

IT WAS AMAZING! My favorite part was definitely the speakers. Each one was so passionate about what they were saying and you could feel the emotion. Particularly the really young speakers as it shows how age is not a factor in activism. These kids are being told that they don’t know what they are talking about but when listening to them you can tell they have so much poise and passion along with knowledge of the issue. The most powerful part was when the members of the Sandy Hook community came and spoke about their experiences. It was so powerful because it made me realize these things should never have happened, and the fact that they continue to over 5 years later just goes to show that something must be done.

Is there anything about the trip that particularly surprised you?

I think just the overall amount of support that was shown at the march from all generations. We had the youth of our generation, parents, grandparents, and so many others that came out to show their support. It was really just astounding the amount of people who came out.

Did going to D.C.’s March for Our Lives motivate you to do more for the issue of gun control?

YES! This is an issue that, unless we have our voices heard and our votes count, may not be resolved. We need to come up with a solution that keeps people safe and that should be the main goal of our government. I will definitely continue to keep advocating for more gun control and an end to gun violence.

Has activism always been a big part of your life or was this something that was brought upon recently?

I have always been a strong proponent of doing something when a tragedy like that in Parkland and many other states occur. Unfortunately, my generation has grown up with the threat of gun violence around every corner. I think I have always had a powerful urge to stand up for and support major issues like gun control, but because I am a student and this is a threat that many students face, it felt more personal and felt like something I had to do.

Do you have a favorite sign you saw someone holding?

I do! There were so many great signs and it was amazing to see all of the creativity that people have when making their signs. I think the most entertaining was “When I said that I would rather die than go to Biology it was a hyperbole”. And the other was “History has its eyes on you.”

Who inspires you in your life?

That’s a hard question. Really I think my family and friends who push me to keep going after my goals though the road may be long and time consuming. When organizing this march I spent hours writing emails, speaking to groups, determining the agenda with Ella that at certain points I just was like “This is taking up all my time” but when I spoke with my mom she would remind me why I was doing this and just give a kickstart to my motivation.

What are your hopes/dreams/plans for the future?

My dream is to become a veterinarian, however, political science and activism is very important to me as well. I want to be able to partake in activism as well as be a vet. I think both of these qualities are really important and would love to also focus on a connection between the two, potentially helping to advocate for animal rights.

Do you have any advice for other Augustana students who are hoping to get involved with activism?

Don’t hesitate to get involved or bring your ideas to campus. There are people all over Augustana who are willing to help you accomplish things that you want to fight for. If it is important to you then take the time to get to know all about the issue. And finally do not be deterred. You may hit snags, you may have people telling you nothing is going to change, but if you keep fighting it will pay off.

Sierra is a senior majoring in English and minoring in Communication Studies at Augustana College. She is a member of the Chi Alpha Pi sorority, the Cross Country and Track teams, and is the senior editor for Augustana's chapter of Her Campus.
Allyson Jesse is a senior at Augustana College studying English and Creative Writing. She enjoys poetry too much for her own good and spends her free time finding symbolism in everyday objects. Bunnies are by far her favorite animal and her most far-fetched dream is to own a bunny farm one day. More realistically, she hopes that after college she will be able to work in the magazine realm where she can inspire people to add more creativity to their lives.