This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

New year, new you? That depends on whether or not you’re ready to pursue those lifestyle changes for real. Those of us who hate hearing people talk about their resolutions hate it because we assume it won’t amount to anything after around January 3rd. Often, people set a resolution for the new year and don’t stick to it, because they either set their expectations too high, or, they congratulate themselves on simply admitting out loud that they want to improve, and continue doing nothing about it. By the time next year rolls around, many of us find ourselves wanting to improve the same things we thought we would have accomplished last year. Change doesn’t happen magically. Here are ways to be realistic about your goals, and make them happen.

Have a Plan

The easiest way to not accomplish anything is if you don’t lay out the work that needs to be done. Physically write down the positive changes you want to make, how you will do so, and most importantly, why you want to do those things at all. Because at the end of the day, you won’t change anything about your life if you don’t want it enough.

To know what I’m getting myself into, I like to split my goals into two categories: checkmark goals (goals that I can simply do and check off my list) and ongoing goals (the lifestyle changes that require being part of my routine for the long haul).

Physical Health Goals

One of the most popular resolutions people make is to lose weight. While not a bad resolution, a lot of people’s attempts to do so result in failure and guilt. If you want to improve your physical body, I suggest leaving a scale out of the equation and making it a resolution to gain health. Rather than looking at eating better or going to the gym as a punishment, view it as a reward for your body that deserves to be taken care of.

Try making a list of nutritious meals and snacks before you buy groceries, and dare yourself not to buy anything else while you’re there. I know every single time I buy a combination of healthy food and junk, I eat all the junk first and let my fruits and veggies go bad in the meantime. What a waste!

Don’t use your busy schedule as an excuse. Be honest with yourself and come up with a routine for staying active that works for you. Tabata workouts can be as short as four minutes; something you can totally squeeze in during those hour-long-vine-compilation “study breaks”.

Mental Health Goals

For those of you who want to improve your mental health, let me spell something out real quick: Self-care is personal and is not at its core just a pamper session. While bubble baths and face masks are enjoyable for some of us, they likely will not resolve our deeper feelings.

If it’s other people who bring you down, learn how to cut things off and let people go. There is nothing immature about blocking people on social media who bring you stress or anxiety, no matter who they are. Don’t think to yourself, “I’m leaving them in 2017!” just to keep checking if they saw how happy you looked in your last Snapchat story.

Another thing that we all ought to leave in 2017 is the stigma surrounding therapy. The scale of the problems you deal with is irrelevant to whether or not you can seek support. If you’re uncomfortable taking advantage of counselors and advisors offered by your college, try online sites and apps like Maven Clinic, Talkspace, or Headspace.

Don’t Beat Yourself Up

Even if your only resolution is to make a new friend or learn how to knit, don’t avoid trying just to prevent failure. If your goals become unattainable, then take a step back, readjust your game plan, and start again. This is your life, and only you can change it.

Rachel is a junior at Augustana college majoring in English. She is newly involved in writing and editing at Her Campus, a college buddy in the Best Buddies program, and won first place this year in College of Dupage's Writers Read creative writing contest for her piece "Finding a Voice".
Augustana Contributor