This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Every year when the calendar resets, it feels like a clean slate, a reset button, or a chance to start again, but sometimes it feels like pressure to start over, reinvent yourself, and reach all your goals as soon as the calendar flips to January 1st. If you’re feeling the pressure to start a workout routine, become perfectly organized, stay off your phone, and constantly be productive, you’re not alone. So what if it’s the end of January and you’ve already broken your new year’s resolutions? Nobody’s perfect and your resolutions shouldn’t feel like failures if you don’t stick to them every day. Progress isn’t linear and some days, or weeks, might be two steps forward and one step back. The good news is, this year can still be your year even if it is the beginning of February so, here’s my advice on how to make attainable and realistic goals:

1. Set goals based on what will make you happy, make you feel better, or what you want to do, not what you feel like you should be doing. If you do things based off what you think you should do, not what is going to bring you joy, you won’t feel motivated and your goal will become a chore.

2. Start small. Whether it’s becoming more organized, being more active, or spending less time on your phone, if you bite off more than you can chew, you likely won’t follow through with your goal. Start small by trying to make your bed when you get up every morning, writing down three things you want to accomplish for the day, spending 30 minutes on TikTok a day, or running for 10 minutes. Once you are becoming consistent with those goals, challenge yourself to do more, but always remember that every day isn’t going to be perfect.

3. Pick a couple of words or phrases to try and center your year around. This year I chose consistency and being present. Once you figure out your few words or phrases, think about what will help you follow through with what you want to do. For me, that’s putting my phone out of reach when I’m doing homework, developing a routine that works well for me, and trying to create healthy habits. 

4. Find a buddy to help keep you accountable. If you know someone that has a similar goal/resolution as you or even just telling your BFF that you want them to help you stick to your goals, they can help motivate you and keep you going. Whether it’s going to the gym together, texting each other that you moved your body, studying together and putting your phone away, it will help you to have someone to go through your goals with you and give you a personal cheerleader. 

While there is no foolproof way to stick to your resolutions, or maybe you don’t even make new year’s resolutions, these tips aren’t the only way to help you get on the right track. There are so many other tips, ideas, and suggestions out there that can help you too! Always remember that what works for someone else might not work for you. Not every day is going to be perfect and that is ok! Don’t forget–no pressure and do what makes you happy.

Augustana Contributor 
Olivia Tonietto

Augustana '21

Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana College, studying Communication Sciences and Disorders. Olivia writes for Her Campus with the hope to add to this amazing culture in a unique way by spreading positivity and a different perspective on this beautiful world we live in!