Style > Beauty

My Favorite Drugstore Makeup for a Glow That Will Last Past Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Okay so if you’re like me, you love spending money on makeup and trying the newest products. However, if you’re like me, you are also very broke and must ration out your spending money with paying rent, buying groceries and other (arguably) more important things. I started using drugstore makeup when I got into college and haven’t turned back since. There is no better feeling then spending $15 on good, reliable foundation instead of $50 on a product that does the same thing. Here I will list some of my favorite makeup products for a college student on a budget. So next time you’re walking through Ulta, just head to the cheaper drugstore side of the store (you know which isles I’m talking about). And if you’re reading this, I’m here to remind you that you don’t need another eyeshadow palette.

Maybelline Master Primer by Facestudio – Hydrate and Smooth

Maybelline, target.com, $7.99; shop now

I am picky about primers and I have to be honest, this one had to grow on me. When I first bought it, the formula felt pretty heavy for a primer. So, like much of the makeup I buy, I used it once and threw it back in my makeup drawers. However, this summer I resurfaced this beauty and have been using it ever since. I have combination skin, and this helps hydrate my face while also balancing out my oily t-zone! Since it is a little heavier, I often use this as a moisturizer in the morning instead of my face lotion.

L’Oreal Infallible Fresh Wear Foundation

L’Oreal, ulta.com, $14.99, shop now

You guys are probably tired of hearing people recommend this foundation to you, but honestly if you haven’t gotten it then you need to hear this again!!! This foundation is one of my favorites and trust me, I’ve tried a lot of foundations… This lightweight formula is so easy to control. You can wear one coat for a light, natural look or you can layer it on for a fuller coverage. It is breathable and finishes with a glowy look for me. It is sweat-proof which is great for my 15-minute walks to school.

L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Glow Concealer

L’oreal, ulta.com, $9.99; shop now

Since I loved their foundation, I thought I would give their concealer a shot and it was a hit. Warning: this concealer is very light weight and I wouldn’t recommend it if you prefer a fuller coverage concealer. I mostly just use this under my eyes to hide my lack of sleep.

Milani Rose D’Oro Baked Powder Blush

Milani, ulta.com, $9.49; shop now

Now on to one of my favorite steps of putting on makeup… This rose gold infused blush is so so pretty. I wish I could describe how beautiful this pink is with an everyday makeup look. It has a little bit of sparkle in it which is perfect if you don’t have time to put on highlighter. It also lasts me quite a long time! I use this every day and I’ve yet to make a dent in it. This blush comes in four different shades that I would love to start adding into my makeup collection.

NYX Born to Glow Liquid Illuminator – Sunbeam

NYX, ulta.com, $7.50, shop now

This was my first liquid highlighter I’ve used and it is amazing. The sunbeam color has a pinkish tint to it which goes perfectly with the blush I mentioned earlier. Dab this on your cheekbones and a little bit on your nose and tah-dah!!! You are now a yummy glazed donut, glistening in the sun.

NYX Tinted Brow Mascara – Black

NYX, ulta.com, $7.50, shop now

This brow mascara is nice if you’re constantly on the go. I’m very lazy in the mornings, especially when it comes to my brows so I just swipe this over them once or twice and they’re set in place all day! You definitely can’t use this if you want to shape your eyebrows but it’s a nice finish on top of a pencil or crayon! I like this because it fills in some spaces when you want a relaxed look and it’s sweat-proof!

Maybelline The Colossal Volum’ Express – Classic Black

Maybelline, ulta.com, $7.99, shop now

Last but certainly not least on my list of favorite drugstore products is my Maybelline Colossal mascara. My lashes are long but very thin, so I like to focus my mascara on volume instead of lengthening. This mascara is perfect for anyone with lashes like mine, it lasts all day and is pretty resistant to smearing and smudging. The brush is pretty big which makes it a little bit difficult to cover the corners of my eyes, but most mascara wands are like that, so I guess we’ll have to deal. And if we’re being honest here, it does get a little chunky. However, it’s light enough to layer on if you want to avoide the caked on mascara look. 

I love trying new makeup especially if they’re not breaking the bank. These are nice because it’s good to have a select few favorites that you know you can always rely on. These products got me through summer and my long days of running all over the restaurant as a server, so I definitely trust them going into the school year. If you get the chance to try out these items let me know how you liked them!

If you have some of your own, what are your favorite drugstore products?

Joselyn Pena

Augustana '20

Augustana 2020