This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

In the quiet recesses of my mind, a relentless struggle unfolds, unseen by the world yet profoundly felt within. It’s an ongoing battle, one that pulls me back into its murky depths time and time again, like an inexorable tide. The shadows of doubt linger, their whispers of inadequacy weaving their way into the fabric of my thoughts with unsettling ease.

I’ve drawn lines in Sharpie where I’d take the scissors, desperate for a glimpse of acceptance in the mirror. Every diet, every regimen promising transformation, I’ve tried, yet the nagging sense of inferiority remains, stubborn in its hold over me. Food, once a source of comfort, has become a battleground, where I oscillate between indulgence and restriction, seeking solace and wielding it as a weapon against myself in moments of weakness.

But amidst the turmoil, there’s a flicker of hope. It’s the belief that I am more than the sum of my insecurities, more than the battles fought silently within. It’s the understanding that the journey towards self-acceptance is shared, that I am not alone in this struggle.

Though the road ahead may be long and winding, marked by obstacles both external and internal, I press on. I refuse to be defined by my struggles, to let them dictate the course of my life. Each step forward, no matter how small, brings me closer to the peace I seek.

It’s not about erasing the scars left by society’s standards with a single act of defiance. It’s about embracing my flaws, my imperfections, as integral parts of who I am. It’s about finding beauty in resilience, strength in vulnerability, and solace in the journey towards self-acceptance.

And so, I continue to tread this uncertain path, drawing strength from the knowledge that I am not alone. In our shared struggles, we find solidarity, and in our shared journeys, we find hope.

Cami Flores

Augustana '25

I am such a simple person. everyday I wake up, think "no thanks" and then go right back to sleep.