Kailey Hoel: Actively Changing The Minds of Augustana’s Student Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

There is great value in discussing mental health and what comes with it; however, not many people are comfortable talking about it. This is due to the uncomfortable territory it brings or the lack of knowledge around the issue. That being said, thanks to the talented and grounded Kailey Hoel, these obstacles have a chance of being erased due to her contribution in bringing a new group called Active Minds to Augustana’s campus. I had the pleasure of speaking with my good friend, who is a sophomore Delta Chi Theta member and now President of Active Minds, about this new group. Being an executive member of Active Minds, I personally know that not many students or staff members on campus are aware of this group due to its recent presence on campus but with the spunk and determination Kailey brings, that will not be the case for long!

What is Active Minds?

Active Minds is a student-led non-profit organization that aims to destigmatize mental illness and promote wellness.

What enticed you to start Active Minds at Augustana?

For me personally, when I was looking for resources, I could not find anything. There was no centralized place to find the information I needed or was looking for. That’s when I knew this should not be that hard to find especially for people that truly need it.

What do you hope for Active Minds?

I hope to reach the national level for the group and have Active Minds reach a majority of campus. I really just want in general to make a difference in students’ lives.

How could people get involved?

It is really easy, we meet every even Tuesday at 4:30 pm in Olin room 201. Everyone is welcome! You could also email me personally at kaileyhoel16@augustane.edu. To follow Active Minds on social media, you could follow our Instagram (@augieminds), our Twitter (@augieminds) or our website (augieactiveminds.website2.me).

What could they expect when getting involved?

When getting involved with Active Minds, you can expect lots of fundraising, spreading awareness in various ways, and getting in touch with mental health resource experts.

Are there any events coming up?

Yes, we do! Cookie and Kindness. Week 9 you can buy a cookie attached to a compliment and resources on campus for loved ones and friends. This will be done in the Brew!

What would you say is the biggest issue surrounding Mental Health?

The biggest issue, in my opinion, is the social stigma around mental health. A majority of students are struggling and they don’t seek help for the reasons of looking weak in the eyes of society.

What do you see in the future for Active Minds?

I plan on trying to incorporate mental health with physical health and spreading the awareness through that as well. I want Active Minds to carry on after I am gone and I also want to become a physician’s assistant after college and with that, I plan on trying to incorporate mental health with physical health and spreading awareness through that as well.   

Allyson Jesse is a senior at Augustana College studying English and Creative Writing. She enjoys poetry too much for her own good and spends her free time finding symbolism in everyday objects. Bunnies are by far her favorite animal and her most far-fetched dream is to own a bunny farm one day. More realistically, she hopes that after college she will be able to work in the magazine realm where she can inspire people to add more creativity to their lives.