This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Dear White People…

Don’t confuse my silence as acceptance 

Be thankful that I am silent for my words cut deeper than a knife

My anger and sadness runs anciental deep

I am tired of seeing black and brown bodies drop while we all share the same color blood

“Respect the flag” you say

If the flag is the representation of this country, then this country is the representation of its government- which is the representation of its people

Then what has this country done for me 

Thank you for your service, for the service of murdering those who look just like me

Thank you for your service, discriminating me

For oversexualizing me

For belittling me

For a nation and government that preaches on its freedom 

They tend to forget the freedom of those who bled and continue to bleed for this nation in the name of change

I don’t speak within the classroom to create diversity, representation, or awareness

That isn’t my responsibility

I speak because my voice is important too, I don’t do this for you

I do this for my nephews to remind them they are more than a racial slur 

I do this for my mother that is on her feet at least 15 hours a day, who had hope towards a nation but now have hopes for a single daughter 

I will do this to become the north star that lights up the dark sky and help find the way back the right way

Dear White People…

Honor my culture, do not fantasize it 

Honor my people, for we have not forgotten the trauma you have brought to us 

Acknowledging that you have done cruel and inhumane things is the bare minimum that we ask of you 

Stop fitting yourselves into the narrative, stop speaking about the black and brown issues as if you are affected by them 

Simply hear and understand the words we are screaming, don’t throw it back at us with BLM signs 

Corporate and help us when asked

So Dear White People.

Josie Ramirez

Augustana '25

First Generation, Mexican American, Bisexual Women who has a passion on speaking her mind, making her voice heard, and the strength to change the world.