This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

No matter what your hair care routine includes, there are always ways you could change your routine so that your hair is healthier which will lead to faster hair growth!

1. Using less heat.

This is a huge reason your hair isn’t growing as fast as it could be. Whether you blow dry your hair a lot or straighten and curl it a lot; both are bad for your hair. You really should not put heat on your hair more than one time a week, and when your do make sure you use a heat protector! 

2. Stop washing your hair everyday.

Society has made it seem that in order to be clean, we have to wash our hair everyday. This is NOT true! Washing your hair everyday is bad. It washes out the natural oil your scalp produces which dries out your hair and scalp causing slow growth. At the most wash your hair every other day. You can still shower every day, you just don’t necessarily have to wash your hair every time you shower.

3. Using coconut oil treatments.

Coconut oil is the secret to long, healthy hair. For an explanation visit my article below for tips on using coconut oil.

http://www.hercampus.com/school/augustana/want-know-secret-long-healthy-hair

4. Start using products with less chemicals.

Do you actually know every ingredient in your hair products? I don’t, and most likely you don’t either. That’s okay, but next time you’re at Ulta, Target, or Walmart shopping for hair products, try to find the products that don’t have sulfates, parabens, or dyes.

5. Stop brushing your hair when its wet.

When your hair is wet, your hair is weak. So brushing through those nasty knots pulls the hair and weakens it. Try to let your hair air dry most of the way (if not all) and then brush it out. This leaves each strand of hair strong!

6. Stop putting your hair up when its wet.

I just recently found this out. Putting your hair up in a ponytail while it’s wet weakens the strands of hair is holds together. This can cause breakage right where that ponytail lays and leaves a line of broken hair strands across the area of your head that your ponytail was. And yes, your hair stylist CAN tell if you’re doing this.

7. Invest in taking biotin supplements daily.

Biotin is the key to strong and healthy hair, skin, and nails. When I take biotin, my hair and nails grow noticeably faster. A lot of people find that their acne improves when they take these supplements. Biotin can be found at just about every health store and pharmacy!

Not matter what hair type, color, or age you may have, there are always ways you could be taking better care of your hair. These are some basic techniques to follow for healthier hair that when done all together make a significant impact on your hair!

Augustana Contributor