Want to Know the Secret to Long, Healthy Hair?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

You may find yourself in the hair/beauty aisles of your local Target or Walmart feeling overwhelmed with the mass amount of hair products salons and companies have advertised for you. 

“BEST HAIR PRODUCT AROUND”

“BEST PRODUCT FOR HEALING YOUR HAIR”

But what hair products will actually help heal any damage you might have done to your hair? We have all damaged our hair in one way or another. We straighten, we blow dry, we wash our hair more often than we probably should. Sof if you are anything like me, you always look for those “magic” products that really will help reverse some of that unnecessary damage you have done to your hair. The product I am going to show you is not in the hair aisle of any store, instead, I am going to have you looking in the cooking/baking isle. You did not read that wrong. The best product I have found for healing hair and helping maintain healthy hair is coconut oil. The best part? It is completely natural. There will be lots of options for you to choose from, but the most important things to look for is that it is organic and that it is 100% coconut oil (some brands sneak in chemicals so make sure to look at the ingredients). 

There are lots of options for what you can do with your coconut oil once you have it. In fact, there are endless options for what coconut oil can be used for. But since I told you this is the magic secret to healthy hair, I will tell you the overnight hair mask I use that works wonders on my hair. 

The first step is the brush out your hair. Get out those tangles and knots from your day, even if you spent all day in bed (been there before). You are going to want to apply this mask to dry, dirty hair. So apply this on your dirty hair day the night before you plan to shower. You are going to want to melt your coconut oil. There were plenty of options in the store for what kind you can buy, most of them are solidified oil because coconut oil is solid at room temperature, but some are already melted for easy-use. You can easily melt your jar of oil by running it under hot water. Take some of the oil in your hand and apply it to the ends of your hair. The amount you need to use will vary depending on how thick and long your hair is. I always start at the ends (because that is usually the part with the most heat damage for me) and then work my way up. Make sure your hair is saturated in oil. I have never felt that I used too much oil on my hair. Personally, I prefer not to put oil on my scalp. I feel that when I do that the next day my hair is extremely oily, even after a good shower. So it is your choice whether or not you apply it to your scalp. Now it is time for the easiest part of this hair mask: sleeping. Leave this hair mask in over night. You can leave your hair down or sleep with it in a braid, ponytail, or bun. I usually put a towel over my pillow to make sure the oil is not absorbed into my pillow. 

In the morning it is time for your final step, washing the oil out. Wash your hair as you normally would with your normal shampoo, just make sure the water is hot enough. Remember, coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so cold to lukewarm water will prevent the oil from washing out. Condition your hair like normal and enjoy your super soft and healthy hair. You should notice right away how healthy the ends of your hair look. I usually do this hair mask once every other week, and I would recommend that to people who do not use heat on their hair very often. But to those who love styling your hair often, I would recommend once a week. 

Since bringing coconut oil into my life, my hair has never been so long and healthy at the same time. Hopefully, you will all find coconut oil as life-changing as I did.

Augustana Contributor