This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Wait, I’m sorry, did somebody just say it’s week five? Midterm week? The hump in the camel’s back? In preparation for midterms (which, probably like you, I didn’t know I had until finally pulling out all my dusty syllabi again), I came up with some ways to get through upcoming essays and exams, and to control my impatience for Fall break.

1. Organize

Listen, the first time I started an essay the night before it was due and got a decent grade, I easily became a crammer for life. Those of us who procrastinate will probably never stop, and that’s okay. But forgetting about assignments or not leaving yourself enough time to study before crashing at the end of the night is far too easy without doing simple things to stay organized. To avoid this, I write out my scheduled meetings, due dates, exam dates, and whatever else I have to plan in my assignment notebook or calendar, for at least two weeks in advance. This way I can see more clearly what is the easiest time to get assignments out of the way, and which days I should try to give myself a break. The best part about writing lists is the feeling of satisfaction you get by crossing off the last item! I also try to vocalize what I need to get done to the people around me to help hold myself accountable.

2. Study Efficiently

Again, my time to prep for a class is usually about an hour beforehand. This is not nearly as helpful as taking a little bit of time out of each day to actually learn and remember material, but there are ways to study last minute that can produce success. Flashcards are amazing. I absolutely feel dorky every time I make them, but I always memorize material so much faster by using flashcards. If you’re struggling to comprehend a text, stop reading it over and over again without writing anything down. Read once and highlight or underline key ideas, read twice and paraphrase the main ideas in a notebook (include page numbers!) and from then on just go back to your notebook to remind yourself what the passage was all about.

3. Call Mom

… or dad, or sister, or whoever loves you unconditionally. The middle of the term can be stressful, even if you don’t have a lot piling up in your classes. Let yourself talk about your day every now and then with someone you don’t always talk to who doesn’t mind listening. Your dad might not do your homework for you anymore, but sometimes a venting session can help you sleep better at night and wake up ready for a new day of learning. Plus, the people who know you best usually have the best advice to give.

4. Look Forward

Now that we’re all about to breeze through week five, we should resist staring longingly into the horizon waiting for Fall break to arrive. This is the easiest way to lose motivation and have trouble focusing on our work. The second half of the term is like a mini version of senioritis where your morning alarm goes off for the third time and you find yourself wondering how important attending this class is, really? It’s probably important. Falling behind only makes the workload pile up higher, and by getting the work done early, there’s more to look forward to. Instead of waiting for your next break, mark at least one thing in your calendar each week that you’re most excited for. Whether it’s seeing your dog again, buying new groceries, getting your paycheck, having a roomie movie night, or whatever else, by reminding yourself of short-term plans coming your way, the five weeks to go will be enjoyable rather than overwhelming. Remember to live life one day at a time!

Good luck everyone!​

Rachel is a junior at Augustana college majoring in English. She is newly involved in writing and editing at Her Campus, a college buddy in the Best Buddies program, and won first place this year in College of Dupage's Writers Read creative writing contest for her piece "Finding a Voice".
Augustana Contributor