This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

When I left for college this past semester, my grandma gifted me with the most amazing cooking resource a college gal could possibly ever own. It was indeed a Crock-Pot. If I am being honest, it sat in my pantry for the majority of first semester. After all no one wants hot soup after coming home from class already drenched in sweat from the harsh September sun. However, as you have probably noticed, winter is now upon us and hot soup seems like a pretty good gig after a long, cold and rainy day at class. So, my roommates and I whipped that sucker out of the pantry, dusted it off and raided Pinterest for soup recipes. We stumbled upon a website called Lively Table with the BEST Chicken “Tortilla-less” Soup and I am here to share this incredible recipe with you all so you can enjoy your easy winter meals as much as we are. *All credit goes to Lively Table!*

Ingredients

• 2 (6 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced​
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, diced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 zucchini, sliced and cut into half-circles
  • 1 small bell pepper, diced
  • 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, including juice
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 3 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground paprika
  • 2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • Juice from 1 lime

Instructions

1. Add all ingredients to your slow cooker and stir to combine.
  2. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
  3. Remove chicken breasts and shred. Add back to slow cooker and let warm back up.
  4. Pour soup into bowls and top with desired toppings.
  5. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.

I mean, just look at those instructions. I don’t think it could get any easier than that! Just throw everything in the Crock-Pot before class and when you come home the smell of your dinner or lunch will be greeting you at the door. Hope you enjoy!

Claire is a sophomore from Winter Park, FL studying Pre-Dietetics at Auburn University.
Cathlene is a senior studying journalism and women's studies at Auburn University. She has been a part of Her Campus Auburn for three years and is in her first year as Campus Correspondent. When she isn't studying and working on Her Campus, she enjoys baking desserts, reading young adult fiction and watching Netflix (mainly Friends, The Office and The Great British Baking Show). Some of her favorite things include Disney, desserts and fluffy animals to cuddle. Cathlene aspires to write for a magazine once she graduates and hopefully move back to Los Angeles.