This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

I am SO sick of my friends and I constantly putting ourselves down by comparing ourselves to other girls. #done #with #it. So here I am getting it out on the table incase you struggle with this too….. let’s not tip-toe around this topic and act like it doesn’t get us all every now and then!

It is rare to find a single person on this Earth that doesn’t compare. Comparison is the thief of joy as some have said, and that couldn’t be more true. I have been asking myself questions surrounding this topic all week. Why do people care what others eat, drink, wear, say about themselves, do etc? It is a constant vicious cycle of keeping up with the Joneses that will never leave us alone. You will NEVER be satisfied enough until you stop looking at others and start living your own damn life. It is exhausting for everyone caught up in this unhealthy perspective and I want nothing more than for it to end now. In other words… why do we freaking care to compare? Deleting social media, positive self talk, and perspective are some of the things that have helped me tremendously in this area of my life.

1.) Social Media

Talk about draining. Everyone’s best angle all of the dang time. People edit their photos, whiten their teeth, enhance their features, express every opinion they have ever had, post what an awesome boyfriend they have, what their dog did etc. Talk about life sucking. How are we supposed to keep up with this?? LMK. On the other end of the spectrum, social media does a lot of good so this is an honest hard balance. The most important thing for me has been not getting caught up in the Joneses crap and to focus on the good + positive offered within the social media platform.

2.) Positive Self Talk

When I feel like I am comparing, I remind myself that I was only given one life to live. There is not a single other person in this entire world that can be me and I can’t be anyone else. We are all created for a specific reason on this Earth and spending time comparing yourself to someone else’s edited profile is probably the biggest waste of time and life ever to exist. YOU are awesome and can do anything you want if you work for it so why not live YOUR best life while you still can. What are some things that are unique about you? Do you have passions? PURSUE THEM.

3.) Perspective

When I get flustered or something doesn’t go my way, perspective is always there to turn my mentality around. It is GOOD to fail. I think most people can agree we grow the most from our failures. You don’t get that position in your club? Great. This will make you work even harder. You fail that test? Awesome. It is time to embrace the freaking grind and isolate yourself with a pot of coffee until you don’t fail. Relating to social media – when you see a “perfect picture” of someone, think to yourself is this actually what they look like in this moment? Most likely they they have had a hair and makeup team getting them ready for that one picture.

Moral of the Story: 

There is only one of you in the world. What are you going to do with that power?

Claire is a sophomore from Winter Park, FL studying Pre-Dietetics at Auburn University.
Kali Skidelsky is a sophomore studying Public and Professional Writing with a minor in Communications at Auburn University. Kali took over as Her Campus Auburn President in Fall 2018. She enjoys reading young adult romance novels and thrillers with female narrators. When Kali isn't reading or writing, she enjoys working out, watching netflix and pinning recipes on Pinterest.