Runway Ready Collegiettes: Finding Your Inner Model (Real Talk)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

College Fashion Week will be in Auburn THIS FRIDAY, and we want every single one of you to be there to experience this awesome event with us!  I am so excited for all of the girls who get to strut their stuff down the runway! You could probably even say I am slightly jealous, but walking in front of tons of staring people is not exactly my forte. The last of my Runway Ready Collegiettes series is all about finding your inner model. That doesn’t mean trying to look perfect or walking down a runway, but loving yourself. Yes, it does sound cheesy, but at the end of the day it doesn’t matter what trendy outfit you’re currently rocking. It’s all about allowing yourself to radiate.

Take Care: Being good to yourself is essential for physical and mental health.

Eat nutritiously, and that does include the occasional brownie. For glowy skin, make sure to get plenty of Vitamin C and D in your diet. You’ve heard it time and time again, but make sure you’re drinking lots of water! If you need a pick-me-up and want to avoid the calories in Starbucks’s salted caramel mocha, try something like NeuroSonic . It is a lightly carbonated beverage but is full of amino acids and neurotransmitters to boost brain activity. As if you need another reason to come to CFW Auburn, you may get a chance to test out this awesome drink. 

If you are in a slump, physical activity can completely turn your day around. Do something that makes you feel good about yourself. That is anything from shopping downtown, yoga at the gym, or dancing in your dorm room to the latest hits!

To keep your hair and skin top notch, let your hair air dry and wear it naturally on a daily basis to lessen damage. Save the blow dryer and straightener for only special occasions, and when you flat iron your hair make sure you’re using a good quality heat protectant. Use sunscreen on a daily basis, because protecting your skin helps with collagen production. You may hate being told you look young now, but when you’re 30 you’ll take the compliment with pleasure!

Change Your Mental Diet:

Own your flaws and have the right attitude about yourself. No matter what you are doing, how you look, or your what mood you are in, feel confident. When you feel confident, you radiate confidence –and that is beautiful! Everyone around you will see it, and wonder what you have been doing with your life.

Victoria’s Secret Model, Elsa Hoks said it best, when she told SheKnows.com this:  “… And, body confidence? Just walk straight” — she mimes lifting her shoulders up — “like you own this! You own the street!”

Stop comparing yourself to others. Once you understand that you will never be stick thin or have a perfect complexion, and that is more than okay, then you can revel in yourself!

Focus on the positive. Don’t have a pity party because you got a zit on the tip of your nose the night of formal–laugh it off and have fun. You’re probably the only one who notices it anyways! Be complimentary towards others, and avoid whiners and complainers. Be around those who lift you up.

It may seem simple, but sometimes simplicity is great for the body. Remind yourself of these easy tips and tricks, and we’ll see you looking confident in your own skin this Friday at College Fashion Week!!

Cover image

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Lindy Olive is known for being a foodie health-nut hybrid, who thinks the best things in life happen in the kitchen. She is a senior at Auburn University, majoring in Nutrition & Wellness and minoring in Sustainability. She wrote for Her Campus Auburn for three years before taking on a role as Campus Corespondent. If you ever need her, you can find her in front of a computer, in a garden, or at the gym. Lindy likes to dream big, and right now, that dream consists of owning a garden-bakery while writing agriculture public policy or working for a test kitchen. When she isn't thinking about food, which is apparently rare, she is hiking with her boyfriend and dog, on a feminist rant, or having deep conversations with her best friends Bailey and Melissa.