katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Teach Online & Earn Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

I have always wanted to have a job and to earn money, but being a full-time university student gets in the way of that. I have seen friends who have to work long hours right after class, and I have noticed how it directly affects their grades in class. So, I gave up on my job search long ago.

This semester, my Chinese professor gave me a flier for a new job opportunity (below). Now, I work for Synchro Education as an English language teacher. 

Synchro teachers work online, and classes can be taught from anywhere, as long as the environment is quiet and free of distractions. I usually teach young Chinese kids who are ages 6-8, but I also have some older students who are 12-15 years old. Some know very little English and have to start from the basics; others have been learning English for a long time and can hold a conversation with me. I did not need to know any Chinese to teach, I just needed to be patient for slow learners who could not understand me.

I teach one or two classes, one-on-one or two-on-one, every morning for an hour each at $10 an hour. We sing sings, read stories, and learn how to write new vocabulary. Since it is only for one hour each day—and because I don’t have to travel, dress up or do strenuous work—I don’t feel like I even work. I teach every day (8-9 hours a week) because I enjoy my job very much, but if you have a busier schedule, you could work for as little as 4-6 hours a week. With this job, you choose your weekly schedule and pick times that fit best for you and the student.

Helping international students learn English feels extremely rewarding. I have had a student who came to me with no understanding of English. After teaching him for a little over two months, he can now hold a basic conversation with me and answer simple questions. He has come so far, but has a lot further to go. I am honored to aid him in this journey.

Being able to communicate across cultures also gives me experience in my career field. I am studying journalism, and intercultural communication covers a huge chunk of my major. Now, I can tell future employers that I have had long-term experience communicating with Chinese students, making this teaching opportunity an excellent resume booster.

There is one drawback to teaching overseas—the time difference. China is 13 hours different from Alabama time in the spring and summer. When America changes time in the fall (for daylight saving time), this difference goes up to 14 hours. I usually teach around 6-7 a.m. (8-9 p.m. in China). If you can’t commit to waking up early a few days out of the week, this job may not be for you. I, on the other hand, enjoy being on a routine and starting my day early.

I am telling you about this job today because Synchro Education is searching for more English teachers. Many Chinese students are on the waiting list, hoping to meet their new teacher soon. If you are interested, apply soon, and you may be able to start teaching as early as this coming December or January.

If you have any questions about what I do as an online English teacher, please email me at ingridschnader@hercampus.com. I would love to tell you more about my experience.