5 Tips on Surviving Midterms ‘Till Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

So, you’re done with all of your tests, papers, and all the assignments you’ve needed to finish that constitute your “midterm.” You’re tired, and frankly, the light at the end of the tunnel is flickering. I’ve been there, and I can offer some tips to get you from your mountain of assignments and tests to the comforts of turkey and stuffing. We can’t be like Timmy Turner: 

1. Give yourself some breathing room

It’s easy to say that when you ignore all the other assignments that you have to do, have to start, etc. But allowing yourself a little room to breathe can help your work ethic improve. The Huffington Post says that taking breaks helps productivity, gives us more creativity, and gives us more energy boosts than cans on cans of Rockstar do (unless you’re drinking, like, a lot of Rockstar).

2. Plan out what you have going on

I personally have a lot of big projects I have to start or do before Thanksgiving break. So what I’m doing is I’m putting in my planner, “Start creating this [blank] assignment,” or something analogous to remind myself of what I have to do. Little reminders that get me started or put me in the motion of starting a project help me way more than large block lettered: 4 PAGE PAPER DUE NEXT THURSDAY. Help yourself with small encouragements.

3. Sleep

Everyone says this one, but sleep is no joke. Sleep.org says in this article that sleep also increases productivity, which can make you more alert, make you healthier, and ultimately make you feel better day-to-day. Sleeping is necessary and if you don’t give yourself time to rest or sleep, you’re gonna crash hard before you can even say, “Pass the rolls, mom.”

4. Enjoy one or two of the fun things on campus

Enjoying things is allowed. There are tons of fun things on campus that will decrease your stress levels. If you like running from zombies in the spirit of Halloween, the library will be hosting its Humans v. Zombies on November 4, from 7:30-10:30 PM (here). If you like fun events, UPC is hosting a multitude of cute cooking workshops, movies, etc. (here). Let yourself have fun! It’ll take some stress off.

5. Don’t forget that you’re in school for a reason.

I know a lot of people go to school because their family expected it, but all of us are here for a reason. We want our degree, we want to finish and graduate! Remembering that can really help when it comes time when you ask, “Wait, why am I even doing this?”

Thanksgiving is closer than we think, my friends. Happy schooling!

Hannah an English Literature major at Auburn University.