11 Steps to Taking the GRE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

So you want to go to grad school. You’re already dreaming of getting that second, third degree. You think your career will improve if you get another degree, and you’re probably right. So you start researching grad schools, seeing what you have to do: a letter of intent, references, your resume and…GRE scores. You pause for a moment, remember your favorite acronym, ACT, and sigh.

1. “Oh, I have to take this?”

You find out that you have to take more standardized tests to get into higher education. 

2. “Okay, so maybe I’ll buy the book and get started…”

The GRE website has free resources for both the general and subject tests. But, if you’re more of a physical book person like I am, you might want to buy the book. 

3. “Yeah, I’ll do some practice tests!”

But, after a while it becomes something like this: 

*Your test date coming up coming in just a few short weeks.*

4. “Oh crap! I should look over the test stuff.”

5. “I know so much less math than I realized.”

There is so much math, y’all.

6. The test is this weekend: This is what I like to call the crap and cry time. Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap. *Breaks down in tears*

Your friends are wishing you good luck, and it feels like being sent off at your funeral.

7. The day before the test, your parents are wondering how you feel.

8. You enter the testing center, and it’s like getting into Area 51. 

They don’t let you bring in cell phones or else you’ll not be allowed in. But you have to bring your ID.

9. You log onto the test and think…

10. And after seeing your scores…

You still can’t believe it’s over.

11. You did it! You survived almost 4 hours of standardized testing!

The author of this article just took the GRE and can attest to all of these feelings. 

Hannah an English Literature major at Auburn University.