Wellness > Health

Trying Zumba, One Step At A Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Never in my eighteen years did I think I would be going to Zumba class, by myself, at 8 a.m. The very first time I walked down to the fitness center, I was talking to my mom on the phone, and when I told her where I was heading, she was stunned into silence. Joyfully shocked that her youngest child was venturing into the world of Latin American dance. 

The instructor’s name was Julie, and let me tell you, when Julie began showing our small group of seven the dance moves, I was hooked. A smile jumped onto my face and did not leave during the entire forty-five-minute group fitness class. 

Now, every Thursday, you are bound to find me at the Sun Devil Fitness Center pushing my dance abilities to the voice of Shakira. 

Sometimes, when we feel ourselves needing change or wanting to experience a new part of the world, it is time to try.

Try, try, try.

I cannot express enough how easy this concept is in words, yet how difficult it can be to put into action without any past experience or dare I say… confidence. 

My advice to you, dear reader, is to take each new experience one step at a time. Instead of focusing on the estranged future. Focus on one detail at a time. 

Do you need to sign up for an event? Hop on your computer and claim your spot!

Need to actually get to the event/class/building? Find the route and get to the location!

At the event and are waiting for it to start? Talk to someone!

At one point in time, the biggest thing stopping me was my fear of the future. Or rather, my fear of the circumstances that can result from the situation. At those times, I ground myself to the present moment and focus on accomplishing the task at hand. 

Trying is much easier when we conquer our hesitation of the unknown and move forward. This year, I am trying Zumba. At other times in my life, I have tried horse-riding, ice skating, rollerblading, and archery. 

No matter the activity, the goal, or the desire, you should try. All it takes is one step forward.

Today is going to be a good day ladies! Welcome to Maya's account as she begins her journey at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University. Maya's goal is to work within columnist writing to analyze concepts for the community of students and families of Arizona.