kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Time for Relaxing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Fall break is different for every student. Some students take vacations, others start reading for their next class. With spring tuition deadlines approaching, some may work the whole week. As a full time student, I take this time to dive back into the finer things in life. Here is a list of ideas for how to actually take a break on your fall break.

Netflix 

Not going to lie, the first thing I did when I finished my final was check Netflix to see what was coming out this Friday. To my surprise, Insatiable released their second season this weekend and the movie After came out. If you are interested in an internal living demon twin ruining a beauty queen’s life, this may be the show for you.  After is a movie based off of Anna Todd’s book, which she started writing on Wattpad and eventually turned into five books and a two book spin off series with two of the supporting characters from the series. The second movie After We Collided just wrapped up filming and should be coming out soon. Both of these Netflix arrivals will surely be binge watched by the time my next class starts. 

Reading

Reading is one of my favorite pastimes. As an introvert, reading is one of the most calming activities that I choose to partake in. I started reading the After book series when I saw the trailer for the movie. These books are page turners. I read the first book in less than twenty-four hours over the span of five weeks for the Summer Reading Program through the Phoenix Public Library. In return for completing the Summer Reading Program, I received a free book! I picked Dark Matter, which is a science fiction thriller, the first of that genre I have read since high school. Reading is one of my favorite ways to escape reality, even if it is just for a chapter or two, and getting immersed in a story for a couple hours is great for the brain.  

Exercise

With nothing but time and calories to burn, getting back into the flow of things at the gym is a great way to spend the time off between classes. Going to the gym burns endorphins which in turn helps you focus better throughout the day. With the weather finally cooling off in Arizona, now would be the perfect time to go for a hike in the mountains. The scenery is beautiful, plus it’s quiet and peaceful. With a full four days that aren’t consumed by homework or deadlines, getting those steps in could be a good way to stay motivated while not in school. 

Traveling

Fall break is only four days, which is just enough time to get in a quick staycation. Going up  north to Flagstaff or Prescott and camping in a cabin is one way to do it. Another option would be to go to the Grand Canyon and spend a couple of days hiking  and exploring one of the greatest views Arizona has to offer. Even going to a resort for a weekend would be great. You could even stay at home for a literal staycation. A staycation is whatever and wherever you want it to be. 

Spending Time with Friends and Family 

During the semester, it’s easy to get wrapped up in schoolwork.  Especially if you are from out of state, fall break is a good time to go back home and spend time with friends and family. If you live in state and alone, like me, maybe grabbing a bite to eat with the family and going to the movies with friends would be a good way to get some positive vibes in before seeing what the rest of the fall semester has to bring. 

These are just some suggestions as to what to do with your time off, but ultimately the decision is up to you. It is a time to do what you want and not have your school schedule dictate what you do. Have fun and live life, even if it is just for four days.

She is a student at Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Digital Audiences. So, you can find her researching the latest trends, following a good hot topics story or jamming out to the latest pop song on Spotify so she knows what's hot and what's not. Her style could be considered androgynous but classy at the same time. Some of her hobbies include graphic design and behind the scenes video production. In her free time, you can find her reading a good book while cuddling with her cat or taking pictures with her camera while walking around the city.