This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

As a broke college student, I am always on the lookout for a means of making quick cash.  Last summer, I picked up a part-time position at Starbucks. Little did I know that I would encounter new training (even though I was a transferring partner from another store), new friends, and a new sense of belonging. I am happy to say I found a family among my colleagues and a group of friends that will always push me to do my best.

As cliché as it sounds, my boss Sahra has been one of my greatest mentors and companions during this transition period. She welcomed me with both arms open and coached me beyond what I thought I was capable of knowing. I caught myself feeling intimidated by her because she is a woman managing an ENTIRE Starbucks location by herself. Beginning her career as a barista at 16, she worked her way to the top by taking advantage of every opportunity she was gifted. Keeping your staff organized is a necessary part of keeping the energy alive, but it is also a central component to excelling in the fast-food domain.

“My mom was a single, hard-working, badass. I never wanted to disappoint her,” said Sahra when describing her burgeoning ascendancy. In an effort to pass on the positive and empowering vibes her mother possessed and passes down to her own kids, she said she tries to treat everyone equally just as she would like everyone to treat her.

In my personal experience working with Sahra, there are good and bad days. We make sure to celebrate the good, and coach through the challenges to better prepare for any future obstacles. But when it comes to handling every contingency or customer complaint, she keeps a positive yet firm attitude. She wants us to be resilient and always look ahead toward the future. For someone who runs a business, manages a branch, and is the head of hiring, it’s an understatement to say that she gets exhausted. On the other hand, she makes working long hours and having kids of her own look so easy. This is why she is an absolute inspiration to me. There is an aura of empowerment that radiates from her, and she never allows her light to dim.

Women often end up competing against other women in the workplace because it is hard for us to make a name for ourselves in business. If we make an effort to empower each other instead, there is a greater potential for achievement and friendship among us. Empowered women empower women, so why bring each other down? Hold each other accountable, share your story, and coach each other for success.

JP (they/them/theirs) is a graduate student at DePaul who enjoys reading books, playing guitar, and telling bad jokes. When they're not behind a book or getting a tan from their computer screen, catch them planning their next tattoo. Check their 'gram: @hanson.jp