I Tried Switching to a Vegan Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Food is an important part of our lives and what we put in our bodies is essential. People all around the world partake in different kinds of diets and some of the most popular diets include vegan, paleo, atkins, fasting, and low carb. People incorporate these food choices into their lives for a variety of reasons. Many people make the decision to change to a vegan diet because they are against the killing of animals. Some people make the change to lose weight and maintain a healthier lifestyle.

Vegan diets aren’t cheap, but they also aren’t as expensive as people make them sound. Over time, more vegan options have become available in popular stores like Walmart. A bag of non-dairy cheese can be a couple of dollars more than regular cheese, but it’s nothing too crazy. Another common misconception about plant-based diets is that vegans are not getting the nutrients they need. Those who go vegan are typically very knowledgeable about the diet and find ways to incorporate essential nutrients into each meal.

As I got older I developed a lactose allergy that prevented me from eating my favorite category of food: dairy. I used to enjoy dairy products until they started making me feel sick and bloated. Soon after I developed the allergy, I started to feel sick every time I ate meat. I tried taking lactose pills before I ate dairy products, and they didn’t seem to help very much. I was stuck in a position where I could either cut dairy and meat out of my diet entirely and feel better, or keep eating the things that made me feel sick.

I tried switching to an all vegan diet without realizing how complex it was. I am impressed by anybody who can start a vegan diet and maintain it. Personally, it was very hard for me to do, but I did attempt to incorporate plant-based foods into my daily meals. The main foods I enjoyed while trying the vegan diet were tofu, non-dairy cheese, almond milk, beans, fruits, vegetables, non-dairy yogurt, and non-dairy sour cream. I was still purchasing items I would normally buy at the grocery store, but I would buy a non-dairy version instead. Cutting meat out was easier than I thought, however, cutting out dairy was a little bit harder.

Attempting to go vegan was the best decision I ever made for my diet and health. I tried many new foods I don’t think I would have ever tried without adopting the vegan lifestyle. Tofu is such a great source of protein and there are so many ways you can bake or fry it. I went grocery shopping last night and purchased many non-dairy products, fruits, and tofu–all foods I’ve learned to love.

I will continue to incorporate vegan foods into my diet because I genuinely enjoy eating them. I encourage anyone to try new foods they haven’t tried before. To learn more information about vegan diets and their benefits. Women’s Health has an article listing vegan foods you can add to your grocery list.

Marissa is attending Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and majoring in Mass Communication and Media Studies. When she’s not writing or reading, she’s snowboarding and traveling.