This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Young people these days are constantly on their phones, me included, and I wanted to challenge myself by living without the device for a day. I fell asleep watching a show and woke up to, oh no! I can’t use my phone. There was a feeling of emptiness as a huge part of my life was gone.

The first few hours were a challenge because instead of replying to snapchats and messages, I could only talk to people in person. Not being able to reach out to people online made me realize how many people I talk to on a daily basis that are not physically in front of me. Consequently, I moved to ASU from Chicago, so I rely heavily on my phone to stay in touch.

Another realization I experienced while in this exercise was how much more I had to listen to the real world without my earbuds connected. Walking to class was a new experience as I heard the birds chirping and bees buzzing. I became much more in tune with nature; it was a unique experience. As I was walking, I thought of how previous generations never had the distraction of phones; people were left to talk to others, or simply observe the world around them. Being outside without any online connection was a breath of fresh air, as I felt humbled by the incredible world around me. I recommend disconnecting even for twenty minutes outside and experiencing a new freedom.

Lunch was a bit of a struggle, as I decided to get Chick-fil-A. The line was long, as usual, but this time I had no phone to play with while waiting. Instead of fiddling around with Candy Crush or Instagram, I only could people watch. Observing other people made it so much more obvious how addicted our generation is to our phones, with the majority of the people in line clicking away. Looking around also allowed me to appreciate how hard the cashiers were working, as they were moving the line rapidly and getting food up quickly. I have always loved people-watching, and this exercise reminded me of that. Trying to guess people’s stories through their expressions and style is fascinating. If you ever have the chance to glance around a room and truly look at people, it can be a really unique experience. The reminder that everyone is just living their life is comforting; we all are here together trying to survive the crazy world around us.

As the day went on, I found it harder to relax as my source of entertainment was my phone; usually, I would take a quick social media break before going back to studying. It can be quite frustrating to be studying and trying to think of an outlet for some relaxation. I’ll admit, in order to avoid mental burnout, I watched a few episodes on Netflix. In the future, I hope to find another outlet for decompression. On a more positive note, I found myself getting more homework done because I didn’t want to get bored; while the method was unorthodox, it actually worked quite well. 

I woke up the next morning with a big grin, as I could use my phone and get back into my old habits, but I will remember those 24 hours and discover new ways to disconnect whenever I can. I hope everyone can unplug every once in a while, to connect more with the real world around you. It makes you appreciate nature, tech, and people in new ways.

Hey, I'm a coffee addict, gym lover, travel junkie, and overall a curious person willing to work hard to make dreams possible. I believe in compromise, kindness, and justice; I hope to contribute creatively and effectively to the magazine. Insta: renee_rissmann