kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

I Tracked My Diet for One Week & Here’s What I Found

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Everyone had their 2020 New Year’s Resolutions all set before 2019 even ended. But did you know that by January 17th of the new year most people have already abandoned their resolutions? So, I decided to track my diet for one week (January 14th through January 21st) using an app called Cronometer, and this is what I found out on my journey.

Setting Goals

I was first introduced to Cronometer in a biology lab several summers ago for a class assignment. What drew me to the app was  that it showed me the nutrients in my food. Most fitness influencers on social media refer to their diet as “fuel” for their body. For many years I struggled with emotional eating, I was eating for comfort, not fuel.  I looked into what eating for “fuel” meant and set some goals for myself. Firstly, I wanted to improve my energy levels and get rid of my chronic fatigue. Secondly,  I wanted to eat one super food per day. Lastly and most importantly, I wanted to eat at least two meals a day and not graze throughout the day. I’m notorious for skipping breakfast. Overall,my goal was to change my eating habits and my eating patterns.

Days 1-3: Baby Steps

Eating for fuel required eating more vitamins and minerals, increasing my protein intake, and decreasing my intake of comfort foods. I’ll be honest–I was struggling.

Day one: for breakfast, I cooked an omelet and hash browns and ate some fruit on the side. I had to run errands across town for a few hours, which delayed lunch. But instead of eating out for lunch, I went home and made a salad. It was a mistake pushing lunch back, however, as my fatigue worsened and I fell into an old habit by having a Filibertos’ breakfast burrito.

Day two: I stayed home, cooked breakfast and made some chicken for lunch. Feeling energetic, I went to the grocery store. I brought two big tote bags with me. My rule is: if I can’t carry it, then I can’t buy it. On the list of food for the next few days were veggies, dairy, fruits, cereal, and chickpea pasta.

Day three: I meal prepped. I made a spinach and fruit smoothie and an omelet. I logged all the food in Cronometer and for the first time reached my vitamin goals. For lunch, I had a salad, and for dinner I made the chickpea pasta with sauce. I met my goals for the day and was hopeful that I would be able to keep this up.

Day four: Choices and Hurdles

Experiencing high levels of energy from the day before, I tried to stick to my goals. However, there was a challenge, I had back to back appointments all across town and homework to do. Therefore, I didn’t have time to go home and eat. So, I went to Panera Bread. It was down the street from my second appointment and had Wi-Fi so I could do homework. I ordered a soup and salad combo and studied. I was in over my head, I had so much homework. I had to go to the library after my last appointment. Thankfully, lunch held me over, but I was exhausted on my way home. I had no energy to cook, so I got a Filibertos’ breakfast burrito again… After this busy day, I logged all the walking I did from running around town and discovered I was  5 calories away from my limit for the day. Although the Filibertos’ burritos is a habit that I am working on breaking, I am happy about the good choices I’ve been making. Nothing happens overnight.

Day five: Bad Day

When I woke, I was exhausted. I had barely managed to turn in my homework the day before on time, and it seemed like my stress had carried over into the next day. I went to my Dad’s house, but I was so tired, overwhelmed, and anxious that I became very emotional. What didn’t help was that my dad wasn’t having the best of days either. We then ordered an abundance of Taco Bell and commenced a Law and Order: Special Victims Unit marathon for the day. It wasn’t the best day and I definitely ate more than I was supposed to. I didn’t feel well after eating all that food because it only reminded me of why I made these goals in the first place.

Days six-seven: Finish Strong

After experiencing such a bad day, I was determined to get back on track. I had developed a habit of eating breakfast and lunch, and  I was on track, checking off all of my vitamins and minerals between the two meals. At this point, I had nicknamed myself “The Salad Queen”. I had a salad with almost everything. I was eating the leafy greens, fruits, and integrating a super food once each day. I was starting to see the changes in how I felt while logging my food. I ate so well for breakfast and lunch that all I had for dinner were some snacks (like celery and hummus or a couple cheese sticks). I was finally seeing what the fitness influencers meant by eating for “fuel”.

What I Learned

On my food-tracking journey I learned that when I eat poorly, I feel lethargic and experience a lack of energy and motivation. But when I eat more vitamins and minerals–such as spinach and leafy greens, fruits and veggies, and foods with high protein–I feel very energetic and ready to take on the day. I have continued using Cronometer since the one-week trial ended and have seen a significant difference in the choices I make in my diet and what a difference it makes in my ability to complete my day to day activities. After years of neglect in eating healthily, I’m starting to see what it’s like to be a Salad Queen by eating clean.

She is a student at Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Digital Audiences. So, you can find her researching the latest trends, following a good hot topics story or jamming out to the latest pop song on Spotify so she knows what's hot and what's not. Her style could be considered androgynous but classy at the same time. Some of her hobbies include graphic design and behind the scenes video production. In her free time, you can find her reading a good book while cuddling with her cat or taking pictures with her camera while walking around the city.