This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

With a global pandemic, political division, and virtual learning, it’s safe to say that 2020 was a challenging year for nearly everyone. While those things may not be over, you should still take satisfaction in making it through 2020 and look forward to 2021. Last year was rough, but finding joy in your daily life can help make 2021 better.

Here are some tips for finding joy in life:

Get Back on Track

For some, being stuck at home can cause discontent and restlessness as there are many feelings of anxiety, boredom and dissatisfaction with virtual life. I’ll admit, I find myself in bed more now than I was before the pandemic. Getting back on track with how life was pre-pandemic can help your days feel less monotonous and more productive. For example, fixing your sleep schedule, which has probably been off since quarantine started, is a good start. Having enough sleep and waking up with enough time to feel energized and ready for your Zoom class can make the experience better than it would be laying under the covers with the camera turned off. Finding joy can be as simple as being productive and accomplishing something.

Organize Your Life

Whether it’s cleaning your room or getting a planner, organizing parts of your life can help you have more control in a world where everything is changing. Being able to manage your own life and plan everything out can help you feel more stable in a time of uncertainty. Consider making a daily to-do list and find joy in checking off what’s done.

Be Grateful

Even if your life has been hit hard by the pandemic or other factors, try finding joy in the good in your life. Acknowledging what you do have can make your world a little brighter. For example, write down what you are grateful for every day. You can do this through journaling or even writing sticky notes with simple statements like “I am grateful for my health”, and put them somewhere you will look often. If you’re not a writer, you can do this through prayer or talking to people directly about why you’re thankful for them. Showing appreciation doesn’t have to be reserved for Thanksgiving.

Create a Mood Board

Even if you aren’t satisfied with life now, you can still look forward to the future. Making a mood board, either physically or digitally, can help set that plan in motion. Manifesting a better life for yourself and visualizing your ideal future will encourage you to work harder to achieve that goal.

Don’t Forget Self-Care

Taking care of yourself during these tough times is essential to your well-being. Self-care can look different to each person. For you, maybe it’s taking a long bath, watching your favorite movie, or doing some retail therapy. Whatever it is, make sure to devote time to what makes you happy.

Ultimately, the stressors of 2020 may continue in 2021, but you can help ease your anxiety and improve your outlook by finding joy in day-to-day experiences.

Ashlyn Robinette is an Arizona State University and Her Campus ASU alumnus. She received her B.A. in journalism and mass communication with a minor in digital audiences from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, and Barrett, The Honors College.