Girl Holding Her Knees
Girl Holding Her Knees
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

How to Change Your Mindset While Quarantined

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

During a time when so many things are unknown, it is easy to get wrapped up in a panic. Here are five panic statements that can be reworded into positive statements.

“I’m Stuck at Home”

As someone who is  always busy and never in one spot for too long, being stuck at home is not easy  for me but I am learning. I’m not extroverted by any means, but I like to go out and experience what the day has to offer before I return back to my home. So, instead of getting down in the dumps about being stuck at home, I tell myself that I’m grateful to be in a safe place. I am able to  spend some time with my cat, play video games, read books, and watch Netflix. There are far worse things that could be happening, but I’m safe at home with my cat and an internet connection. So, I’ve been having a good time. 

“I Will Get Sick”

In the middle of a pandemic where the fear of Coronavirus is everywhere, it is easy to get wrapped up in the paranoia of catching the virus. But what can you do about it? You can stay home, self-isolate, wash your hands, not touch your face, and wash your counters, but you can’t run from it.  

“I Will Run Out of Items at Home During Self-Isolation”

I think we all saw what happened to the stores when it was announced that we need to self-isolate. Stores had to put limits on purchasing and let senior citizens go into the store first so they can get things they need. This was out of panic  (which is an entitled emotion under the stress of a pandemic) But instead of thinking you will run out of items, tell yourself that you have what you need for now. You are prepared for this and you will use what you have wisely. 

“Everything is Shutting Down, I’m Panicking”

As someone who has to take specific  vitamins and medications, I started to panic and worry   that they wouldn’t be ready or that I couldn’t even get them. I sat myself down and took a few deep breaths and remembered that the most important places such as medical centers, pharmacies and grocery stores will remain open so I will not go without and I will be ok. I opened my eyes and the panic subsided. 

“There is So Much Uncertainty Right Now”

This statement is true, there is still a lot that we don’t know. But let’s rework this statement a little bit: While I can’t control the situation around me, I can control my actions by: monitoring my breathing, calling loved ones, sleeping, having  proper nutrition, praying, and other home activities. In my experience, a bubble bath and meditation help calm these nerves around how much uncertainty there is, but we need to trust and believe we will be ok and that we won’t be the same person we were when this pandemic started. 

Sure, a pandemic is scary, and we don’t know how to deal with it right now, but  we can do what we can as individuals. We can sanitize our hands and keep our homes clean. We can check in on loved ones and make sure everyone knows they are appreciated  and cared for. We can be grateful for a chance to spend time with our loved ones whether they be humans or pets. At the end of the day, we can only control ourselves, not the pandemic.

She is a student at Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Digital Audiences. So, you can find her researching the latest trends, following a good hot topics story or jamming out to the latest pop song on Spotify so she knows what's hot and what's not. Her style could be considered androgynous but classy at the same time. Some of her hobbies include graphic design and behind the scenes video production. In her free time, you can find her reading a good book while cuddling with her cat or taking pictures with her camera while walking around the city.