Fall Into Stress Management

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Fall is often associated with great things such as cooler weather, pumpkin flavored foods/drinks, and sweaters. However, fall for students often signals the approach of midterms and an increase in stress. Impending deadlines and never-ending to-do lists can often make it easy to prioritize school and work over your health.

It can be hard to admit to others, and even to yourself, that you have too much on your plate. I am guilty of having the mentality that I have to power through a situation regardless of how I feel mentally and physically. However, stress can be very detrimental to your health and well-being. Recognizing the reality of your stress and how it affects your health, is an important step in coping with stress in a healthy manner. Additionally, there are many great tips for coping with anxiety and stress that have been promoted by the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) as well as the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). These include physiological strategies such as exercising regularly and sleeping adequately and action-based strategies such as taking deep breaths and slowly counting to 10.

One theme of strategies that is often overlooked focuses on the mind. For example, the ADAA recommends reframing your perspective. Stress and anxiety can lead to irrational thoughts and cause you to react in a disproportionate manner. Taking a step back to evaluate how much control you have over a situation and how severe a situation actually is can help you reframe your perspective and reduce stress. It is also important to recognize that some stress can be positive. For example, the stress associated with knowing a particular exam is worth 25% of your grade can motivate you to prepare well for that exam and be successful.

The ADAA also recommends identifying specific things that cause your stress or anxiety. You can do this through reflecting on past experiences or documenting occasions of stress and looking for a pattern. The NIMH similarly recommends identifying ways in which your body responds to stress (e.g. abnormal sleep habits, changes in diet, emotional responses). It can be easy to evaluate your physical health and recognize that you are feeling light-headed and weak because you haven’t eaten in a few hours. Understanding that relationship teaches you that your body needs more frequent energy intake for optimal functioning. However, we are less inclined to look at our mental health in the same light. Exploring and understanding your personal stressors and the ways in which stress manifests in your body will enable you to be more prepared to prevent and reduce stress in the future.

If the stress you experience becomes overwhelming or you need help finding ways to manage it, counseling services are available for all students at ASU.

Abby graduated from the University of Connecticut with a B.S. in Allied Health Sciences and a M.S. in Exercise Science. She is now pursuing a Ph.D. in Nutritional Sciences at Arizona State University. She is hoping to use this platform to communicate research being conducted on wellness-related topics.