This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Urban Dictionary defines a glow up as “a mental, physical, and an emotional transformation for the better. Glow ups can be both natural or planned. As well as being gradual and permanent, or fast and temporary”. Each person’s glow up process looks different because each person has their own reasons for doing it. For instance, some simply glow up naturally from puberty. Others plan their glow up in order to improve their attractiveness or state of mind. Whether it’s for your mental health or physical appearance, here are the do’s and don’ts of glowing up:

Glow Up Intentions: DO it for yourself. DON’T do it for someone else.

We’ve all heard of a “revenge body” to get back at an ex. Don’t do this. Glowing up should be a positive experience for yourself, not a scheme to retaliate against someone else. The essence of glowing up is self-love. Don’t focus on the things you don’t like about yourself, or try to erase who you are. Instead, take this time to focus on yourself. Improve your own personal wellness, appearance, mental, and physical health. The process of glowing up is a path towards self-love, not an end-goal for proving someone wrong. 

Glow Up Expectations: DO be patient. DON’T expect instant results.

Glowing up is an individual journey. It can take a few hours to a few years to glow up. If you want to permanently improve your mental health, that probably won’t happen overnight. On the other hand, if you want to temporarily spice up your appearance for a special event, then that might just take a self-care day consisting of getting your hair, nails, and makeup done. Whatever your goals are, there’s no rush to complete them. You set the pace. Be patient and consistent, and results will come.

Glowing Up Process: DO have fun! DON’T be miserable.

Planning a glow up will take work. It’s easy to use the “I don’t have time” excuse to do whatever it is you need to do to glow up. Set aside time to adjust your schedule and organize what it is you will be doing. Don’t make the experience worse than it needs to be. For example, if you’re trying to lose weight (which can be a very difficult thing to do) find some way to make it easier on yourself. Have fun with it! Rather than agonizing over things like working out, eating healthy, and tracking calories, try finding a workout buddy, new recipes, or buying cute athletic wear. While exercising, don’t concentrate on the pain, focus on the stress you’re relieving with the release of endorphins and the other health benefits you’re receiving instead. Always have a positive mindset.

Glow Up Results: DO love yourself. DON’T give up.

There’s no exact way for someone to tell when you’ve gone through a glow up. Only you can know. You’ll know your glow up is complete when you love yourself unconditionally. Sure, there will be some bad days in your life filled with self-doubt. No one is perfect. Glowing up means you now appreciate yourself more than you did before. You should be more confident and content with yourself. This may, however, take longer than you initially anticipated. Don’t be discouraged by this. There’s no such thing as failing at glowing up. Keep going until you are happy with yourself. 

Whether you want large or small improvements, temporary or permanent, make sure to have fun and enjoy your glow up. Rebrand yourself for yourself, and make sure to follow the glow up do’s and don’ts.

Ashlyn Robinette is an Arizona State University and Her Campus ASU alumnus. She received her B.A. in journalism and mass communication with a minor in digital audiences from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, and Barrett, The Honors College.