samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

College has been one of the most terrifying parts of my life. For the first time, I had to jump out of my comfort zone and challenge myself to start over. The first week at Arizona State was one of great excitement and overwhelming fear. I remember my dad and I unloading his truck and feeling the soft drops of sweat slide down my forehead as we hauled my belongings to my new room. I remember walking into the empty dorm room and glancing nervously at my dad. It was time to coat this blank canvas with memories from my old life.  

We unpacked the boxes and I meticulously placed my pictures, clothes, and decorations all around my room to make it seem like home. I plastered the walls with photos of my family and friends, knowing that in a few weeks there will be new faces to hang next to theirs. As an extrovert, the first week was thrilling because everyone was willing to make new friends. I toured the campus for my classes, went to concerts, and explored food havens. I felt like a true adult for the first time and with that, some fears of mine seemed to have vanished.

Now, it’s second semester and I still feel the same excitement I felt the first week of college. I am thrilled when I meet new people or go out and explore Tempe. I wake up excited to talk to my friends about the past days’ troubles and pleasures. I love my major and am excited for the next three years at ASU. I know that hearing some people’s experiences as freshmen can be disheartening, and don’t get me wrong, there are days I am homesick and lonely. But, for the first time in my life, I feel like I am in the right place at the right time.

My advice to any incoming freshman is to talk to people. Everyone else is just as nervous and open to making friends as you are. Try to go to as many events as possible. In my first semester I attended a career fair, magic shows, concerts, and even sporting events. I try to find new restaurants to eat at like Slickables, Thai Basil, and the Chuck Box, which all happen to be near campus! I also recommend finding a study area that suits you best whether it be at Armstrong Hall, the Starbucks on University, or in your dorm room. Lastly, never feel ashamed to ask for help! See if your school offers mentor programs and try to meet with your advisors.

I have surprised myself many times since starting college. Sure, I miss my dogs, home cooked meals, and a bed I don’t have to jump out of. But when I’m away from ASU I start missing my roommates, my friends, and my busy schedule. College is scary, but it doesn’t have to stay scary.

Cecilia is a freshman studying Business Entrepreneurship and Marketing at Arizona State Univeristy. She was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona. Cecilia is the middle of triplet daughters. She is pursuing a career in the business side of fashion. She loves to write from journaling to blogging on her personal blog Milestone at https://sisfors000.wixsite.com/milestone.
Daria is an Arizona State University graduate with a degree in Journalism & Mass Communication from the Walter Cronkite School. She was the Chapter Leader of Her Campus at ASU from fall 2018 to spring 2021 and is excited to start the next chapter of her life.