This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Puzzle enthusiast… dog walker… animal lover… are easy phrases that I could use to describe myself. There are some other phrases that define my personality… positive, kind, and hardworking. Or phrases that describe my accomplishments… double major, Dean’s List, and a university student. 

But when asked the question: Who am I? It is easy to feel like a certain amount of accomplishments or memories defines my ability to describe myself. 

In truth, I am a positive person, with a glass half-full attitude because my mother taught me that positivity would help me keep my mental health from slipping into depression. I am kind because, like most people who have experienced unkindness, being treated poorly doesn’t feel good. And I am hardworking because I grew up in a family that needed help, and I was prepared at a young age. 

If I had to pick one moment though, to describe who I am, it would be the seventeenth day of September at nearly 1:15 p.m. University life in-person, a new job within the university, setting up an event, struggling to befriend my co-workers, and making time for lunch with my dad had been on my mind all day. Just before the event, a co-worker and incredible friend of mine noticed that I had been struggling balancing school, work, and family and offered me a shoulder to lean on. 

Truthfully, they had offered me a shoulder to cry on because I didn’t last more than a few minutes describing my struggles before I started bawling from the stress of it all. It was within that moment of my co-worker trying to comfort me that we went over all of the different forms of aid that I could find. Through counseling, through friends, through family, through university leadership, or through any means possible would provide aid and support to me throughout the year. 

From that point forward, I began to identify when I felt myself slipping and struggling through different situations, and puzzling out how to solve these issues. When classes were difficult, I went to office hours. When family was too difficult to visit during the week, we communicated and rescheduled our plans. When friends were hard to come by, I found people who wanted to be around me. The solutions to my problems had been easy to find once I realized that I wanted to rectify these issues. In those moments of finding an answer to my problem, I realized that I am a strong, and open-minded person who is willing to accept change in order to amend difficult situations. 

Today is going to be a good day ladies! Welcome to Maya's account as she begins her journey at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University. Maya's goal is to work within columnist writing to analyze concepts for the community of students and families of Arizona.