“7 Rings” by Ariana Grande Might be Your 2019 Song Anthem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

On the surface “7 Rings” by Ariana Grande seems to be about material possessions, riches, friendship, champagne and retail therapy but there’s more to the song than you might think.

Over the years Grande has been criticized for her signature ponytail being her go to look. In the past, the singer addressed the criticism towards her signature look by opening up about how damaged her hair became from the bleach and dye when she played Cat Valentine on Victorious and had to maintain her red hair. According to Insider, Grande said on Facebook in the past that “It’s all that works for now (AND I’m comfortable for the first time in years).”

In “7 Rings” Grande rocks her ponytail and we see that she owns her hair and it doesn’t own her with this line from the chorus of the song, “You like my hair? Gee, thanks! Just bought it.”

I personally really liked this lyric because of the confidence she poses and how it can be applied to women’s lives. If there is a hairstyle that you really have been meaning to try. Go for it. I know it may sound cliché but ladies you are beautiful! Ariana have confidence in your look and style because after all it’s yours and if you love it and it makes you happy then who cares what anyone else thinks. So rock your current color and cut, or try something new.Who knows maybe like Grande you’ll find yourself saying, “You like my hair? Gee, thanks! Just bought it.”

“I see it, I like it I want it, I got it”

To some, this line seems like she is just bragging about her wealth and how she can buy whatever she pleases. But I think this lyriccan be applied in different ways.Dreams, aspirations and goals, just to name a few, are things that you can, “See it” in your head as something you “Want” to achieve, and with enough persistence and hard work you, “Got it.” Don’t hesitate in 2019 to go after your goals ladies instead remember that if you, “Want it, [you] got it.”

“Wearin’ a ring but ain’t gon’ be no “Mrs.” Buy matching diamonds for six of my bitches I’d rather spoil all my friends with my riches”

This lyric is a nod to her split in 2018 from fiance,Pete Davidson. This lyric is also a nod to the creation of this song being based on the true story of her day at Tiffany Co. with her friends (Vic, Courtney, Alexa, Tayla, Njomza, and Kaydence) which ended in Grande buying them all matching rings, according to a recent Harper’s Bazaar article.

This just goes to show the love Grande has for her friends as they’ve supported her through this past year where the singer has, “Been through some bad shit. I should be a sad bitch.”

In the next lyric, she said, “Who would have thought it’d turn me to a savage?” This to me was a nod to how successful she was in 2018 and winning Billboard Woman of the Year, despite going through personal struggles. So, if like Grande you had a difficult year or personal struggles in 2018 just know that 2019 doesn’t have to be that way. Take control of your life and the situations you’re in if you are able to and take 2019 by the reins because queens this is your year!

“My smile is beamin’ My skin is gleamin’ The way it shines I know you’ve seen it you’ve seen it”

In this lyric, her happiness is not only symbolized by her smile but also by her glowing skin, so much that it “shine.” I can personally relate to this lyric because I understand what it’s like to overcome personal struggles and find happiness again. Do what makes you happy and you’ll be happy, in Grande’s case it is hanging out with her friends and retail therapy as seen in the song.

Another takeaway is that you should treat yourself every so often and indulge. It doesn’t have to be as lavishly as Grande did in the video. As a college woman myself, I know how busy and stressful life can get and I sometimes forget to treat myself for all my hard work. So whether it’s as simple as getting a drink at Starbucks or making some tea and cuddling up in blankets to watch a Netflix series you’ve been dying to watch. Remember that you are a queen and you should treat yourself whether it’s time for yourself to do things you love or with some retail therapy.

Since “God is a Woman,” Grande’s been really keen on showcasing a diversity of real women in her videos and spreading positive messages of female empowerment about how all women are beautiful.

In the video of “7 Rings,” she features dancers of all different sizes and races. I really appreciated the diversity and inclusivity in the video because in the music and film industries today, you don’t see them include as much diversity in terms of sizes of women. So as a curvier woman myself I really appreciated the inclusivity in her video and the messages of female empowerment.

Honestly, if you couldn’t already tell, I am loving “7 Rings” and the positive messages hidden within the song. So if you haven’t already watched the video here is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYh6mYIJG2Y. Who knows maybe “7 Rings” will become your 2019 song anthem.

Lastly, I just want to mention that on January 22, 2019, Ariana Grande announced on Instagram the list of songs on her upcoming album and a release date of February 8, 2019. I can’t wait to see what the singer has in store.

Angel Jimenez studies Journalism at Arizona State University with a minor in Studio Art. She is passionate about storytelling and pays great attention to her work. Angel's other hobbies include creating art. In her free time, she loves to drink a cup of coffee or hot chocolate with her friends.
Daria is an Arizona State University graduate with a degree in Journalism & Mass Communication from the Walter Cronkite School. She was the Chapter Leader of Her Campus at ASU from fall 2018 to spring 2021 and is excited to start the next chapter of her life.