This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited by Shriya Bhat

I am too young to have a quarter-life crisis. Still, I feel too old when I think of changing my major, when it means changing my carefully constructed career plans. 

If my Physics major and I had a conversation about me switching to Computer Science as my major and Physics and Astronomy as my minors, it would go something like this:

“It’s not you, it’s me.” I say, not meeting the eyes that glare at me in disbelief. 

“But you said you would stick with me forever. You said you had confidence in us and believed that we could make it! You were the one who always chose my side even when Literature stood under the violent rain all night waiting for you. You made a commitment!” 

Physics has a way of highlighting promises that provoke the desire to prove myself again and again. 

“I am not completely cutting you off. You’re still my best friend. You and Astronomy have been hanging out all the time. I am just inviting Computer Science along.” 

“I don’t like this,” Physics says. 

“This is for the best,” I smile tentatively.

When university offers you multiple options to choose your major from, you become a kid left alone in the candy store without supervision. You first choose what you already like and gorge on it. But, then you try another candy in the glass bowl on the tallest counter. Hmm, you have tasted this already but somehow now it is sweeter! Is it better than the one you chose first?! Then you try another, try another and try another, until you’re not sure which one tastes better. Now, you don’t feel like buying the first candy you selected. Now that you’re exposed to other delectable flavors, you buy a bag of assorted candy with one major candy. 

As I prepare to switch my major, I decided to make a list to help you decide if you want to take a chance. So, what are the reasons to choose this assorted candy bag  a different major? 

Subject Interest

The most obvious reason to try a different major is when the driving force motivating you to learn more and explore more vanishes, and the subject that you once loved feels like a burden. One of the biggest indicators that you’re losing interest is when after finding answers to questions, you’re only happy that you’re finally done with the work and not happy because you got the answer. Crossing over that thin line really tells you where your priorities lie. 

Career Trajectory

Your chosen area of study very likely will dictate the kind of career you aspire for. Sometimes, you learn about a new possible vocation that would fulfill your expectations more than your current ideal one and probably fit your parameters of a quality livelihood better. At the risk of sounding like the motivational speakers who interrupt in the middle of Youtube videos, ‘It is necessary to make use of opportunities that knock at your door’ — or, at least put a welcome mat so that it may consider approaching you. 

Happiness

University is difficult. You have no breathing space between exams and deadlines. No time to process while you pray for progress. The SSS triangle theory – Sleep, Studies, Social Life; pick two. Studies is definitely one of the choices (or you wouldn’t be reading this article). While you decide that you can manage all three without trouble (spoiler alert: you can’t), you might as well choose something you would like to study and not daydream the second you open your problem set. 
Choose something that gives you a little more breathing space if your current major is stressing you out more than it should. You will know your mental health is being severely compromised when instead of random breakdown you’re completely chronically burnt out. Consider your position; when switching your major, you’re not giving up, you’re choosing a better road you painstakingly rebuild.

At the end of the day, all of us want wind in our hair and sunshine or blankets and moonlight. Take your pick. Anything that brings a smile to your face. Be it your improved grades, your impulsive weird food combinations at 1 AM (I’ve seen enough in the pantry, thank you for asking) as you finish that reading, that extra five minutes of sleep where you dream of sleeping on clouds; moments that make you feel that where you are is where you were meant to be. If your choice brings all of this — one would also work — and a smile to your face; a smile that could turn your B to an A+ (hyperbolic, I know) then it is worth it.

Your happiness is worth every risk you take. 

Harshini Dhiyaa Velsamy is a Computer Science Major in dependent relationship with poetry. She can be found daydreaming fake scenarios and has a penchant for getting too excited whenever there is a plot twist in anything.