Student Government Elections: The Presidential Debate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited by: Maya Haidar (UG 2020)

Photographs by: Rohan Surti (UG 2021)

In the midst of Election campaigning, The Ashoka University Election Commission (AUEC) conducted three successive debates to prep the student body for the election session by letting them have a closer look at the candidates vying for their vote. The Accountability Debate was held first, followed by The Candidates Debate, and finally on 5th February, The Presidential Debate. The student government elections this year have been amped up with structural changes in the process as well as in the student government itself, beginning with the separation of the executive from the legislature.

The Presidential Debate served as the finale for what were three compelling, high-tension debates where candidates were put on the spot, representing not just their respective parties in the moment, but the entire student body. Each participant put forth their best foot, and they all remained diplomatic and eloquent through all the challenging questions thrown at them. The attendees at the debate were Esther Larisa David, the only independent candidate this year, Maria Ben, the representative of Dhamma, Arnav Mohan Gupta, the Presidential candidate for Moksh and Rishvanjas Raghavan, the representative of Prakrit.

The debate stood for more than just an introduction to the potential presidential candidates in the upcoming debate, as we saw the attendees openly address many issues which had been cast aside or left ignored in the past. The debate helped realise how the responsibilities of the house extend beyond the scope of the president while reiterating  the importance of accountability, diversity and inclusion. Moreover, it made the decision making process for students much easier with regards to whom they would vote for.

In the opening speeches, Dhamma shared their vision for Ashoka and how they aimed to solve the problem of inclusion and put more focus on waste segregation and building concrete structures to solve problems. Moksh promised to make the student government more efficient and organised through data collection and feedback by changing the current political climate at Ashoka. Prakrit shared their vision for the house and the student government as a whole, by reiterating the changes made by them in the past year such as the separation of the legislature and the executive. Esther Larisa David spoke about how important it is to have more respect for dialogue, since the government is first and foremost, for the people.

Each attendee provided insight into their priorities as student representatives by revealing which issue was closest to them, and the answers ranged from digitalization of check-ins, improving waste segregation to increasing intercollegiate participation. The audience did not hold back while asking questions to the candidates, who were put on the spot with questions about conflict with the administration, efficiency of the house, and made answerable for previous statements, internal turmoil and possible accountability.

All things considered, the debate showcased the Ashokan community as capable of engaging with each other and moreover, ready to hold their representatives accountable. All candidates proved their worthiness of holding a position in the House of Representatives and clearly put forth what their party as a whole plans to bring to the Ashokan community. The discourse seen in the debates is the kind that  one expects between the student government and the student body and the AUEC managed to organise and conduct the debates extremely well. Each party and candidate received the opportunity to reach the students directly, clarifying and elaborating on their manifestos and promises, and the rest lies in the hands of the student body: to vote and make their voices heard, once again.

Mehak Vohra

Ashoka '21

professional procrastinator.
Aqsa Pervez

Ashoka '19

An avid reader, she reads almost anything she can lay her hands on. She can share anything except cookies. She enjoys moonlit walks, whistling and basking in the winter sun.