This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited By: Sonal Rana (UG 20)

Smiling as an optimistic act, which can be done free of cost, raises its own reputation outside as well as inside. Smiling, which usually comes involuntarily, sometimes voluntarily, has a lot to do with our lives that is much more than the simple stretching of lips and advertising of the teeth.

In the hustle and bustle of daily life, people forget to live the life they have always wanted to live. People don’t find time to spend with their family, friends and close relatives. Rather than an overflowing excess of words, a simple smile is enough, to keep up and sustain relationships. It may not be that easy to convince one person through words and actions, but a simple and genuine smile can persuade even a stranger.

Supposing you are walking on a footpath, even if you don’t know the person walking opposite to you, a simple smile in their direction is enough to convince them to strike a conversation with you. A smile has a strong power of persuasion. In other words, a smile can be re-thought as being an act of producing superfluous quanta of energy and transferring high magnitude of positivity.

More than the persuasion and positivity of the smile,  people will tend to smile more when they become aware of a smile as medicine that increases their life span. Definitely, everyone will be willing to pay for it, regardless of its cost. But more often than not, people don’t realize the actual power of a smile. According to research led by scientists at Wayne State University in Michigan,  the physical act of smiling increases the productivity of hormones and neurotransmitters and makes us mentally and physically strong. 

A pleasant smile can boost the mood and immune system of our body by altering the mood mechanism by sending essential chemicals. It can also lower blood pressure and reduce stress levels. As a result, in various hospitals, special laughing and smiling rooms are allotted to patients, as it can work miracles and treat several diseases that even Medical Sciences have not found a cure for.

If we open our ears to peer talks, it can be often heard that someone has fallen in love with someone because of their alluring smile. It is, in fact, true that a smile has magnetic power. A sudden and unexpected smile is enough to change one’s life and induce an overflowing excess of unconditional love towards someone.

The smile of a new-born baby is the blessings of nature. It has an unmeasurable divinity. It is contagious and often we bow before its supreme power. Sometimes smiles are innocent, cute, attractive and convincing. On other occasions, they can be enigmatic, like the smile of Mona Lisa. Smiles don’t have a specific language. Through an innocent smile towards our angry mother or furious teachers, it is possible to cool them down. This graceful effect brings peace to the surroundings.  

Nothing is lost, but something is surely gained from an effortless smile. We don’t have to suppress a smile for anything. Smile and laugh aloud until your tummy hurts and tears roll down your cheeks. Smile with all you have got!

Anulya P

Ashoka '22

I am a tricky girl who started the odyssey from green Kerala. Moving with optimistic thoughts and with a great wish to accomplish the essence of the mysterious life. Believe in Karma and ready to fight all the battles of life, with the belief that God gives only the toughest battle to the toughest persons.
Aadya Singh

Ashoka '21

I'm a double major in Psychology & Philosophy. An ardent lover of music and philosophical prose, along with abstract art. I'm trying to approach the world with fresh perspectives every day!