Aritra Sutradhar: Vistaar’s Inception and Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Vistaar, Ashoka University’s music society is one of the first societies that came up in Ashoka. True to its name, Vistaar has expanded rapidly since 2004 and currently has over 400 members and a 23-member administrative team. From organising Karaoke Nights to conducting Peer Learning Sessions, it has infused life on campus with music. This article has excerpts of an interview with founder and ex-president of Vistaar, Aritra Sutradhar, about the organisation’s journey.

Vistaar’s performance at Ashoka’s Inauguration Ceremony on 31st January 2015

Snigdha: When did you first start thinking about founding Vistaar? What inspired you?

Aritra: I remember speaking to Professor Harris in a bus ride to Ashoka in what was probably the first campus tour ever. It was back in April 2014, and we were speaking about musical opportunities on campus. It was this conversation with him that cemented my desire to pursue the idea of Vistaar.

I always knew that I’d want to be a part of the musical culture wherever I was going– but I wanted to create something more than just a music society. I wanted to create a body which would positively impact different segments of the community through the medium of music in as many ways possible. Looking back, I think the different initiatives that we’ve worked on are symbolic of our commitment to our vision as a society.

Snigdha: What does “Vistaar” mean?

Aritra: Vistaar is an improvisatory way of introducing the notes of a Raaga in Hindustani Classical Music. It also means “to expand”, a phrase we strongly resonate with. As we’ve grown from a small group of people to a 400+ member strong society, our various initiatives have grown to cater to multiple segments of the Ashoka community, something we hope to continue.  

Snigdha: What exactly is Team Vistaar? How has your experience been working with them over the years?

Aritra: Team Vistaar is essentially the administrative body of the society. It comprises four departments (Programs, Media & Marketing, Logistics & Tech, and Finance). This team is responsible for the ideation and execution of all the initiatives and services of the society. It is without a doubt one of the most professional spaces I have been a part of.

Being a part of it all these years has allowed me to get to know some of the most dedicated and talented people. We’ve learned a lot from each other, and the experiences we have shared. Over the last few years Team Vistaar has grown to become a second home, and it’s going to be very difficult to leave that behind.  

Snigdha: Is there any exciting new initiative or program coming up?

Aritra: The most exciting ones would be our website and the Vistaar Magazine. There are some interesting informal programs and events as well which I am sure people are going to be excited about!    

Snigdha: You’ve been a part of this society for more than three years; what is one thing you’ve seen change over this time?

Aritra: I guess that would have to be our structure. We’ve gone through numerous organizational changes over the last few years. As we evolved and expanded as a society, we have been constantly open to changing the way we function and organize ourselves. To be honest, it was a trial and error process. But I believe that this adaptability is what allowed us to grow at the rate we did.

Vistaar’s Founder and ex-President, Aritra Sutradhar

Snigdha: What has been your biggest takeaway?

Aritra: My biggest takeaway has been the learning experience, of course. Starting something from scratch has its own challenges: you make mistakes while growing, but you’re still proud of making those mistakes because they teach you lessons which you know you might not learn otherwise. I’ve developed a deeper understanding of how teams function, and the importance of bringing people together and motivating them to serve a common vision. It will be difficult to leave all of this behind, but there’s also a sense of joy in knowing that I was able to contribute something significant to a place I will always love.  

Edited by Devashree Somani

All the images have been provided by Aritra Sutradhar

I am an Economics Major at Ashoka University. I love to travel and explore different cultures and traditions. Writing has been my passion because language is very powerful and plays an important role in impacting lives.
Hello! I am Aanchal, a second-year psychology major at Ashoka University. I love to travel around places with a small backpack on my shoulders and create new connections whenever possible. Anime is my guilty pleasure. Expressing my feelings through writing calms me down and keeps me at peace.