This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

In two short months you will be graduating; receiving your high school diploma, saying goodbye to your high school peers and teachers, and embarking on the next journey in your life. Remember hearing that college is the best four years of your life? That may or may not be accurate, depending on your experience, but to ensure the best of your time in college here are the ten tips for incoming freshman: 

CALL YOUR PARENTS

Going away to college may be your first time away from your parents, your first taste of freedom. But despite that, you should not cut off all ties with your parents. Remember that your parents went to college once too, and even if things have changed since they were in college, they might be able to give you valuable advice. Even when you are in college, your parents may still be more aware of what is best for you than you are.

MAKE FRIENDS IN YOUR CLASSES

Whether your first semester’s schedule has Gen Eds or classes required for your major, it is beneficial to make friends in your classes. You may benefit from class group messages, especially when it comes to discussing class assignments or arranging times to study together for the class’s exams. As the influential English writer, John Heywood, once said, “two heads are better than one.”

MAKE RELATIONSHIPS WITH YOUR PROFESSORS

Professors know the ins and outs of an average student’s college experience more than you may think. By making relationships with your professors can be helpful regarding your class and your grade, but also can be valuable to your overall education in the long run. Having a relationship with anyone allows you to have the opportunity to understand another person, and that is no different from your college professors. By letting your professor know you may provide you with more opportunities to succeed in college.

BE COURTEOUS TO YOUR ROOMMATE

If you plan on living in a dorm, you probably will be living with someone else for eight months. No one wants to live in an awkward situation; therefore, being courteous and respectful will allow you and your roommate to live in a healthy environment. Being away at college and living in the dorms may be the first time you will be sharing your space with someone else but be aware that this may be theirs too. Treat your roommate the same way you wish for your roommate to treat you. Try setting rules and guidelines early on because no one wants to live in a high-tension room.

PASS ON SOME NIGHTS OUT

To say that partying is not a big aspect of college would be a lie. But just because your campus has parties three to four times a week, does not mean you have to go out every time. Try and pass on some nights out, and instead of partying, catch up on your studies or much needed personal time.

DON’T GET OVERWHELMED AND HIDE IN YOUR DORM

College is hard, and sometimes the many aspects of college and life you have to judge may overwhelm you. It may seem easy to ignore your responsibilities and resort to hiding in your room, but in the long run, it can be more destructive than helpful. There are times where resorting to our rooms and curling up in our beds seem more comfortable than facing our problems but remember that life begins at the end of our comfort zone.

DON’T HOP INTO A RELATIONSHIP

You may meet someone in your dorm or your class, and they may seem like someone you would like to date; even though they may seem “perfect,” take your time learning about them before hopping into anything. We learn the most about ourselves in college, and especially in the beginning, we do not need anything distracting us from that. If you feel like being with this person will not hinder you from the opportunities of friendships of excelling in academics, then allow yourself to be open to the possibility, but try and remain calm and patient. 

RECOGNIZE YOUR MISTAKES AND LEARN FROM THEM

We all make mistakes throughout our life and college is no different. College is one of the most influential times in our life where we can grow and change, but we can’t do that without any learning from our past. Instead of harping on things you may have done or handled wrong, allow those moments to become beneficial learning experiences.

LET GO OF NEGATIVITY

Some relationships and friendships are meant to be, but maybe just not forever. If a connection you have made only puts negativity into your life, move on and let go. No one should be wasting their time in stations that don’t build them up and foster positivity for them and their lives, especially in college. College time is way too valuable and way too short for that.

MAKE THE MOST OF OPPORTUNITIES OFFERED IN COLLEGE

College offers so many opportunities that it can be hard to choose. By being active on your campus and experiencing what your college can provide you with, will enrich your overall time there. Make the most of your time in college because in four short years it will be over, and you will be going off into the “real world.” You don’t want to leave with regret of not joining that club, applying for that internship, or studying abroad in that country; you want to remember that each moment is precious and worth living to its fullest potential.

Dayne DiSesa

Arizona '19

Dayne DiSesa is a senior at the University of Arizona. She is double majoring in Gender and Women Studies and Creative Writing, and working on fulfilling her life long dream of becoming a social worker. Dayne is a proud owner of two guinea pigs (Buritos and Dorritios), 20 dreamcatchers, and a car she named after Betty White. You can follow her on instagram: @sunflowersanddaynishes.