Five Things I’ve Learned in College So Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

College is definitely something that can be good and bad at the same time (how…?). After 2 ½ years, I think I’ve finally figured it out. Here’s what I’ve learned, hope it helps and motivates someone out there!

#1 Self Care

I can’t stress this enough. I never really focused on myself before this year and let me tell you, I had a TERRIBLE semester last year. It’s important to put yourself before others. With all the stress that comes with being a college student, it’s easy to get forget about yourself. Without proper health, and most importantly, mental health, it’s hard to focus on studying and getting what you need to get done, done. Physical, mental, and spiritual health is EXTREMELY important in balancing everything that comes with being a college student.

#2 Surround yourself with people that bring the best out of you.

One of my favorite quotes is “You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with so be brave enough to let go of those who keep weighing you down”. Now this is definitely something I have struggled with my entire life. It’s hard to let go of people you want to be friends with, but know they are not good for you. But the best part about college is that there’s so many people around you, that you WILL find your niche. It may take a few trial-and-errors, but trust me, when you do find your people, or person, it’s amazing (shoutout to my girls, I love you guys to death ♡).

#3 Keep chasing your dreams and don’t let competition get to you.

I can’t say how many times I’ve thought about giving up in what I’m doing. Yes, times get tough. But no uphill journey is nice and smooth! It’s important to stay focused and trust the process. It’s very easy to go off-track and forget what you are set out to do. Keep faith in yourself and keep going. Trust yourself and know that what you are doing is going to keep you happy in the long run. There are always going to be people that are better than you in something, but that doesn’t mean that you aren’t good enough. You are always going to hear people that got a better grade than you, got into a research lab before you, got into medical school before you, but DON’T STRESS and stick by what you are passionate about. I have found myself comparing myself to other people, and trust me, it did way more harm than good. I still sometimes end up doing that, but having people that will help you bring you back is a good solution to this.

#4 Failure is OK.

Just because you are a pre-med student does not mean you aren’t human! Its OK to fail at something. But it’s important to use this as something to grow from. Failing at something means that you were pushing yourself and not keeping yourself from achieving more. If you have a mindset of growth, you will improve.

#5 DO. YOU.

Most importantly, DO YOU. If you want to take a class completely out of your major, GO FOR IT. Don’t hold back! You wanna drop people out of your life? DO IT. Doing things out of your comfort zone will help you thrive in ways you never thought was possible (yup, I’ve been there). Everyone is different for a reason. Don’t get influenced by people or try to mimic what others are doing. Everything will fall into place by itself if you stay true to yourself.

Dayne DiSesa

Arizona '19

Dayne DiSesa is a senior at the University of Arizona. She is double majoring in Gender and Women Studies and Creative Writing, and working on fulfilling her life long dream of becoming a social worker. Dayne is a proud owner of two guinea pigs (Buritos and Dorritios), 20 dreamcatchers, and a car she named after Betty White. You can follow her on instagram: @sunflowersanddaynishes.