This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

I think we can all agree when I say that nobody saw any of this coming. All of the hopes, dreams, and resolutions of 2020 didn’t really seem to pan out the way we had hoped; it’s been one heck of a year and it’s not over yet. We have all felt the effects of the pandemic in some form or another. Whether you lost someone, got sick yourself, or maybe you’re feeling anxious, anxiety is a tough subject to talk about, but it’s an important one we all need to discuss right now.

Anxiety can take a serious toll on your mental and even your physical health, but I’m not here to get into the science and facts of it all. I wanted to write this to give you all a sense of community, to let you know that there are others feeling the same things that you are. This is a nightmare we’re all dealing with right now and we can only get through it together. 

It’s okay to be anxious about COVID. It’s okay to be scared. This is definitely unknown territory, we are all still learning and trying to adapt as we go. I still remember when it all really hit me. My dad is an essential worker and I was afraid just to sit next to him at the dinner table. I had trouble sleeping and would be up at all hours of the night with heart palpitations, sweaty hands, and racing thoughts. This became a routine for me every night. I know we all frequently looked up our systems and panicked at the first cough or sneeze, and didn’t even think about sneezing in public or it would be another code 23-19. 

The real question is, how do we get over this? Fighting with crippling anxiety myself, I’ve struggled with this question as well. In my opinion, we can’t fully get over this until it completely clears up. It’s okay to be worried and a little fearful, it makes us more aware and conscious, not just for our own health, but for others. Find your support system and have some conversations about it; I hated talking about my anxiety and struggles with mental health for ages. It made me feel weak and helpless, but I feel like talking about your fears and anxious thoughts with others — family, friends, mental health specialists — is the first big step. 

The next thing to do is escape, turn your mind off (believe me, I know that can be hard), and find something that makes you happy. Whether you read a book that takes you to new places, get into a new show (I’ve been getting into the Crown, highly recommend it). Maybe invest in some adult coloring books or go on a hike. Self-care is such an important factor in easing our pandemic anxiety, or just anxiety in general. Maybe retail therapy is your thing, I definitely had one or two too many Amazon boxes delivered to my apartment. I should probably be on a first-name basis with the delivery driver by now. 

If you take anything from this, please understand that you are not alone out there. We are all struggling with our current reality, and learning how to cope. Remember, it’s okay to be anxious and scared. Go take care of yourself, take care of your friends, and your family, and remember to be conscious of others. We can only get through this together. 

Appalachian State senior Communication-Journalism Major with a minor in Apparel and Merchandising