This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

I think now, more than ever, women feel the pressure to have a good body and eat healthy, which can be both a good and bad thing.

I’ve never been the type of person who just LOVES going to the gym, or willingly substitutes a side of fries for something like broccoli. However, recently I have been more conscious of what I eat. I have expanded my taste buds when it comes to healthy food, and my conscious weighs on me for not going to the gym. So, in that sense, I’m glad that I’m personally more aware of my health. I have also been really hard on myself, which, I know many other women, specifically college aged, can relate to.

“Bikini season” (which is just around the corner), or getting that “perfect beach bod,” is the worst when it comes to putting pressure on the mind and body. The media is also the worst for giving us such unrealistic expectations. Nevertheless, it is so easy to point fingers, but in the end, we are our own worst critic.

Don’t get me wrong, it is a great thing that women are wanting to become more fit and healthy. I also like the fact that we have started to encourage women to believe that whether you are strong, skinny, or plus size, you are beautiful. Honestly, I kind of hate the words “skinny” and “plus size” because they are just not realistic either, so, someone needs to invent some new words.

We as women, and as a whole society, have definitely come a long way when it comes to spreading body positivity, but there’s always room for improvement.

What I have realized is that mental health is just as important as physical health, and this is especially true when it comes to having a positive mindset about your body.

In the end, if you are mentally and physically healthy, it does not matter what numbers appear on the scale.

On the days that I catch myself not having that positive mindset, I always find motivation through words such as: “you are fearfully and wonderfully made” Psalm 139:14 – ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT LADIES!